History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Place

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lingfield, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.176 / 51°10'33"N

Longitude: -0.0088 / 0°0'31"W

OS Eastings: 539286

OS Northings: 143745

OS Grid: TQ392437

Mapcode National: GBR KLC.BKL

Mapcode Global: VHGSL.SPQV

Entry Name: New Place

Listing Date: 11 June 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280486

English Heritage Legacy ID: 287488

Location: Lingfield, Tandridge, Surrey, RH7

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge

Civil Parish: Lingfield

Built-Up Area: Lingfield

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Lingfield St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Lingfield

Listing Text

TQ 34SE LINGFIELD C.P. STATION ROAD

9/247 New Place
11/6/58
GV II*

House. Dated 1617 in gable over entrance, restored in 1920's by John Hopkins.
Horsham stone ashlar with Horsham slab roofs. Red and blue brick stacks, placed
diagonally to left of centre and on right hand wing. L shaped plan with gabled
Lower wing projecting to right; courtyard formed in the re-entrant angle. 2
storeys and attics in gables with spherical finials on apex and sides of gables.
2 gabled bays to left with flat one bay extension to left, entrance bay in
re-entrant angle with wing, parapet to roofs. 3-light stone mullioned attic
windows under label mouldings, 4-light mullion and transomed window to first floor
left, 5-light to right and one 2-light window in re-entrant angle. One 3-light
and one 4-light window on ground floor of wing to right. Arched ribbed and studded
door on diagonal across the angle in an elaborate stone surround with guoillche
and egg and dart mouldings. Foliage decoration in spandrels frieze with dentilled
cornice hood over supported by fluted pseudo-boric pilasters; crowning spherical
finials.
Garden front:- 2 gabled bays with stone mullion and transomed windows under flat
label hoods. 3-light windows to attic, 4-light on first floor left, 5-light to
first floor right. End pier to right with'scroll moulded top. Gabled bay set back
to right and flat roof. Late C19 early C20 single storey extension to right.

Interior:- Former features of interest such as newel post carvings and panelling
removed by former owner.

'V.C.H, Surrey, VOL. ii) pp.463,480. VOL. iv) p.304
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.350.


Listing NGR: TQ3928643745

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.