This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9913 / 51°59'28"N
Longitude: -2.1604 / 2°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 389079
OS Northings: 232550
OS Grid: SO890325
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.0MB
Mapcode Global: VH93T.H6QT
Entry Name: Abbey Hotel and Attached Boundary Wall to St Mary's Lane
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280555
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376705
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 CHURCH STREET
859-1/6/126 (North side)
04/03/52 Nos.66A, 67 AND 68
Abbey Hotel and attached boundary
wall to St Mary's Lane
(Formerly Listed as:
Abbey Stamp Shop)
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.67 AND 68)
Hotel, formerly 4 dwellings. End unit (66A), returning to St
Mary's Lane, is late C18 with mid C19 rear extension. Modified
Flemish bond brickwork, hipped tiled roof behind parapet,
3 storeys, 3-windowed. 6 above 12-pane horned sashes to brick
voussoirs and central stone key, stone cills. Ground floor has
been rebuilt and contains C20 four-pane pilaster surround shop
front with central door. 3-course brick bands at first and
second floors cut through by window heads. Return, to St
Mary's Lane, has various recessed blind panels to cambered or
segmental brick heads, and one elliptical, formerly a carriage
Added unit at back is 3-storey, 2-windowed, glazing bar sashes
in cambered yellow brick arches and terracotta keys, with
flush bands at 4 levels in yellow or yellow and black brick.
Stack to right party wall. A brick boundary wall to approx 4m
height continues for approx 8m length, along St Mary's Lane,
contains 2 blocked openings. INTERIOR linked to central body
No.67, (formerly Southend House), is mid C18. Flemish bond
brickwork and tiled roof. 3 storeys and basement, 5-windowed,
all sashes with exposed boxes, second floor only with glazing
bars, to fine brick voussoirs and brick bands; blocked
basement openings both sides of central 6-panel door to
diamond pattern transom light, in pilasters and to suspended
flat hood with 3-compartment soffit. Blocking course and coped
parapet. Brick stack to right.
Back has wing to left to plain parapet gable, return with
casement and sash windows, then main back wall in 3 storeys
with 6 above 12-pane sash and a triple 4-light to brick
To the right, now part of the hotel, former No.68 is mid/late
C18. Modified Flemish bond brickwork, tiled roof. 3 storeys
and basement, 2-windowed. 6-pane above 12-pane, and centred
12-pane to ground floor, all to fine rubbed voussoirs and
stone cills, central grille to basement. Coped parapet, large
central ridge stack. Each side are 6-panel fielded doors with
fanlights to pilaster doorcase and slight open pediment. The
building is straight jointed each side.
At back is 3-storey, 2-windowed, with 2-light C18 multi-pane
casement and lofty arched 30-pane sash, above a tripartite
16-pane to cambered arch and a 20-pane; at lowest level a very
wide 4-light casement to moulded mullions, in wide cambered
arch, and door to left.
INTERIOR: best surviving work in No.67/68, which has a
throughway, left, and an interior timber-framed spine wall.
Main stair a delicate open-string winder, parallel with spine
wall, mahogany swept and wreathed rail and very slender turned
balusters; this through 2 storeys. A second, service stair
immediately behind with heavy moulded rail, square newels and
turned balusters, all painted, and a C18 circular skylight
with moulded radial bars. Tight brick winder stair with wood
nosings to basement with brick floor and chamfered beam, some
brick barrel-vaulted sections. Many C18 panelled doors.
It is unfortunate that most of the windows to the central unit
have lost their bars; replacement would give distinction to
the facade. The property on the corner of St Mary's Lane was
formerly the Abbey Garage; an NMR photograph shows the
frontage in that form.
(Photo in National Monuments Record: 1950-).
Listing NGR: SO8907932550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings