This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8172 / 53°49'2"N
Longitude: -3.0533 / 3°3'11"W
OS Eastings: 330749
OS Northings: 436175
OS Grid: SD307361
Mapcode National: GBR ZK1.3W
Mapcode Global: WH858.299Z
Entry Name: Grand Theatre
Listing Date: 26 January 1972
Last Amended: 20 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183661
Location: Blackpool, FY1
Electoral Ward/Division: Talbot
Built-Up Area: Blackpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Blackpool St John
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 33 NW BLACKPOOL CHURCH STREET
2/5 Grand Theatre
Theatre, 1894, by Frank Matcham. Stone corner-entrance block of 3 storeys
in flamboyant free Baroque, with drum and dome: 3-sided canted facade with
round-arched entrances at ground floor; upper storeys have giant pilasters
flanking windows which are paired at each side with bullseye above,
Venetian in the centre; attic storey of scrolled gables with finials each
side; stone drum with paired classical pilasters and domed roof of copper
fish-scale tiles, surmounted by cupola, rises through the centre.
Interior: auditorium of 3 balconies, cantilevered and double-curved;
semicircular proscenium arch flanked by corbelled curved boxes under
semicircular arches, richly crested with pediments and putti; oval ceiling.
Fibrous plaster decoration in very ornate Baroque style, gilded and painted:
fronts of boxes freely ornamented with cherubs, putti, swags, etc., and
painted panels. Pendentives each side of proscenium arch have large oval
panels with paintings of muses. Ceiling carries 2 heavily-moulded circular
bosses supporting chandeliers, surrounded by 6 large panels painted with
portrait medallions, nymphs, putti, garlands, etc.; all enclosed by coved
cornice. Dress circle level has ironwork staircase head, and wood-
panelled bar with stained glass windows. The whole building, ingeniously
providing much accommodation on a small site, was completed in 7 months
from December 1893 to July 1894.
Listing NGR: SD3074936175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings