This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5674 / 52°34'2"N
Longitude: 0.3947 / 0°23'40"E
OS Eastings: 562398
OS Northings: 299316
OS Grid: TL623993
Mapcode National: GBR N61.4KN
Mapcode Global: WHJQ0.1Q6L
Entry Name: Snore Hall
Listing Date: 9 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221461
Location: Fordham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE38
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Fordham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Hilgay All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 69 NW FORDHAM
8/15 Snore Hall
House. Main south block mid C15, east extensions 1806, north wing early C19.
Brick and plain tiled roofs. Original rectangular wing defined by diagonal
buttresses. South front of 3 bays in 2 storeys. 2 renewed arched mullion
windows and 3 renewed timber casements of C16 insertion. Gabled roof with
3 hipped dormers and square ridge stack right of centre carrying quadruple
diamond flues. Buttresses carry short corner finials. West wall with dado
of Perpendicular trefoil panels repeated at eaves. Dado runs round projecting
2-storey embattled porch interrupted for arched doorway facing south. Porch
has one 2-light trefoiled lower window under square hood and one arched lancet
to each first floor face. Occasional grotesque heads built into structure.
Parapet machicolated To right of porch west wall with renewed 3-light cross
casement to ground floor and 3-light oriel window above supported by
machicolated apron. 2 pinnacles extend up through arcading into gable head
which has central panelled turret capped by domed finial. North wing of C19.
3 bays in 2½ storeys, the battlemented side bays projecting forward through
2 storeys. Gabled roof and 3 gabled through-eaves dormers. Internal gable
stacks. Eastern extension of 1806 broadly similar. Interior. Porch with
tierceron ground floor vault and oak leaf boss. 4 chamfered bridging beams
in sitting room. Kitchen has one multi-rolled bridging beam with mortices
for arched braces (reused tie beam) and one bridging beam with ribbon moulding,
both c.1520-25. Original brick cellar survives. Kings room (first floor)
with oak fireplace overmantel dated 1586: tapering pilasters and 2 4-centred
panels with pediments and fleur-de-lys: Upper room of porch opens into this
as a solar via metal covered door. One attic room was a chapel. Roof several
times renewed. 2 Priest's holes set into chimney breast each 2m x lm x lm
vertically placed with a trapdoor between them.
Listing NGR: TL6239899316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings