This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9094 / 52°54'33"N
Longitude: -1.6916 / 1°41'29"W
OS Eastings: 420836
OS Northings: 334703
OS Grid: SK208347
Mapcode National: GBR 4B3.R3C
Mapcode Global: WHCFR.Z4MG
Entry Name: Chapel of St Chad
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Last Amended: 4 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82655
Location: Barton Blount, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Barton Blount
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Church Broughton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 23 SW PARISH OF BARTON BLOUNT OFF BARTON LANE
3/1 (West Side)
2.9.52 Chapel of St Chad (formerly
GV II listed with Barton
Private chapel, formerly parish church. Rebuilt 1714 by Samuel
Taborer, probably using medieval masonry. Altered in 1845.
Coursed squared sandstone and ashlar. Plain tile roof and stone
coped gables with plain kneelers with obelisk finials and west
bellcote. Pilasters at the corners with pieces of cornice.
Moulded eaves cornice. South elevation has a round-arched south
doorway with key and impost blocks. Plain, mostly mid C19
interior. Plaster ceiling. Early C19 recumbent effigy of a
lady wearing a wimple. Wall tablet c1763 on north wall. Three
C19 wall tablets on the south wall by Hall of Derby. Squat C14
font octagonal bowl on octagonal base with concave sides. C18
Style altar rails by Horrabin of Derby 1926. Excellent stained
glass in the west window of c1881. The chapel of St Chad is
also scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: SK2083934726
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings