This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1997 / 51°11'58"N
Longitude: -0.017 / 0°1'1"W
OS Eastings: 538642
OS Northings: 146365
OS Grid: TQ386463
Mapcode National: GBR KKZ.NJ4
Mapcode Global: VHGSL.N3CN
Entry Name: Crowhurst Place
Listing Date: 9 March 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287346
Location: Crowhurst, Tandridge, Surrey, RH7
Civil Parish: Crowhurst
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Crowhurst St George
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 34NE CROWHURST C.P. CROWHURST LANE
5/107 Crowhurst Place
Country House. Second quarter of C15 to centre with south wing C16, wing to
north by George Crawley in 1912 and 1915. Originally built for John Gaynesford
bought by Crawley for himself and then sold to Conseulo Vanderbilt, Duchess of
Marlborough who commissioned the extensions. Timber framed on brick and stone
plinths, close stud framing exposed above with Horsham slab roofs, hipped with
gablet to wing on north. Tall brick stacks on rectangular ridge plinths with
dentil decorations. 3 diagonal corbelled stacks to left, 3 more at junction
of wing, 2 further stacks of quatrefoil section to left of centre and 4 to right.
L shaped plan with projecting cross wing to north. 2 storeys and attics in gables.
West front - wing to left jettied on first floor with dragon posts to angles.
Leaded casement fenestration, 3 on first floor, and 3 below. Wing attached to
main range by recessed bay behind flying braces. 2 storeys to main range;
irregular six bay facade with first floor jettied on moulded bressumer to left
of centre. Carved bargeboard and attic casement in gable to left, 2 mullioned
and transomed windows below. Further gabled bays to right of centre including
full height round oriel window bay inserted to Great Hall. Jettied gabled porch
to left of centre with floral carvings in spandrel and jowled chamfered posts.
Ribbed door in porch on ground floor with billet decoration above and rich tracery
window to first floor.
Left hand return front: (North elevation). Brick and stone foundations. Irregular
fenestration with ribbed door to left approached over wooden drawbridge.
Right hand return front: Two double jettied gabled bays. Rear (east) front:
Irregular six gabled bays with external wooden stair.
Interior:- Great Hall with roof of ogee section containing double cove. Deeply
moulded principal ties purlins and plates. Close set rafters and wind braces.
Deep stone and brick fireplace. Post to left of fireplace has incription
"George A Crawley restored this House 1908-11". Screens passage with four
moulded doorways and studded doors, one blocked. One room to left with very
fine linenfold panelling and C17 fireplace flanked by attached columns.
Great Parlour:- Fine moulded ceilings. Stone fireplace with strapwork mouldings.
Duchesses parlour to south:- Painted ceiling with Harlequin patterning and gilt
brasses. Further panelling through house, notably oak plank and muntin panelling
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.177
V.C.H. Surrey: VOL. ii pp.473,475-7,479. VOL IV. pp 275-8, 399, 428.
A MEMOIR OF GEORGE CRAWLEY. R.H. CUTHBERT HEADLAM 1929.
COUNTRY LIFE 1921, JULY.
Listing NGR: TQ3864246365
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings