This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5642 / 53°33'51"N
Longitude: -0.461 / 0°27'39"W
OS Eastings: 502028
OS Northings: 408612
OS Grid: TA020086
Mapcode National: GBR TW67.Z1
Mapcode Global: WHGGG.WNNZ
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165957
Location: Wrawby, North Lincolnshire, DN20
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Wrawby
Built-Up Area: Wrawby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Wrawby St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
WRAWBY BRIGG ROAD
TA 00 NW
8/50 Church of Saint Mary
Parish church. Late C12 - early C13 tower with later C13 upper stage, C13
north arcade and north door; C14 south arcade, south door and aisles; C15
south chapel, nave clerestory and tower parapet. C18 south porch.
Restorations of 1869-70 included rebuilding chancel, re-roofing, re-
flooring, re-seating and repairs to windows. North porch of 1887-8. Nave
re-roofed and other roofs re-covered in 1950s. Limestone and ironstone
rubble and squared blocks with limestone ashlar dressings and tower parapet.
South porch of brick, partly in Flemish bond; brick patching to north aisle.
Lead and ashfelt roofs; slate roof to north porch. West tower, 4-bay nave
with 3-bay aisles, north and south porches, 2-bay chancel with single-bay
chapel adjoining south aisle. Quoins throughout. 2-stage tower: first
stage has C19 buttresses, restored west lancet with hood-mould, lancet to
south, clockfaces to north and west, string course. Restored pointed 2-
light belfry openings with C19 Y-tracery, original hood-moulds and
headstops. Projecting embattled parapet with crocketed gabled coping and
crocketed angle pinnacles. North aisle: original west buttress, C19 north
buttresses; C19 square-headed 2-light traceried windows, similar east window
with restored tracery, restored pointed 2-light west window with reticulated
tracery, hood-mould and weathered headstops. South aisle: restored
buttresses, square-headed 2-light west window, 2 similar C19 3-light south
windows; former chapel adjoining south side of chancel has 4-centred west
window with 3 cinquefoiled lights and restored mullions, and similar C19
south window with hood-mould and headstops. Clerestory: 3 square-headed 3-
light windows with single 4-centred arch 3-light window to east bay, all C19
restored. Chancel: chamfered pointed door and restored C15 square-headed 2-
light cinquefoiled window to north, C19 pointed 3-light traceried east
window. South porch: outer segmental brick arch, pointed wave-moulded inner
arch. North porch: angle buttresses, pointed moulded outer arch flanked by
buttress shafts with crocketed pinnacles; single traceried side windows.
Pointed chamfered inner arch with weathered hood-mould and headstops.
Interior. Tall pointed triple-chamfered tower arch with damaged dogtooth
hood-mould and inner order on octagonal responds. 4-bay north arcade of
pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds with plain
moulded capitals and bases on square plinths. Similar south aisle with
moulded capitals, perhaps re-cut in C17, moulded bases on tall square
plinths, and wider fifth east bay to former Tyrwhitt Chapel. South-west
respond rebuilt with section of shaft on moulded corbel supported by carved
winged angel holding shield and re-set Romanesque carved head corbel;
fragments of incised C13 gravestones re-set in wall below. South-east pier
has pair of carved heads above capital, and moulded corbel base for former
statue; similar corbel to neighbouring pier. North aisle: squint with
piscina below, square-headed door to rood loft above; former roof corbels,
one a mutilated carved head. Monuments in chancel: C16 ashlar altar tomb
(ascribed by 1880 plaque to Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby, d1548), re-set from
south chapel, has moulded plinth, carved relief frieze with shields in
quatrefoils alternating with traceried panels, and panel behind with indents
for brasses below a straight-sided 4-centred arch and frieze of pointed
quatrefoils; mid C18 ashlar wall tablet to Robert Draper and others with
carved Gothick surround; marble wall tablet of 1757 to Thomas Waterworth,
schoolmaster of Brigg, inscribed in Latin; C17 - C18 floor slabs; marble
wall tablet to William Watson of 1773 with pilastered surround. Painted
board of 1687 at west end of south aisle recording bequest of Ellen Trippe.
C13 font with octagonal bowl bearing inscribed geometric traceried panel, on
8 shafts and later base. Fragments of C14 glass in north aisle. Tapestry
of 1882 at west end of nave. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of
England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 431-2; drawing by C Nattes, 1795, Banks
Collection, Lincoln City Library.
Listing NGR: TA0202508607
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.