This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.251 / 51°15'3"N
Longitude: -0.1142 / 0°6'51"W
OS Eastings: 531706
OS Northings: 151889
OS Grid: TQ317518
Mapcode National: GBR KK8.FZ8
Mapcode Global: VHGS4.ZT0C
Entry Name: The Hawthorns Pendell Court
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Last Amended: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281104
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287286
Location: Bletchingley, Tandridge, Surrey, RH1
Civil Parish: Bletchingley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Bletchingley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35SW BLETCHINGLEY C.P. PENDELL ROAD
2/49 The Hawthorns
11/6/58 Pendell Court
(formerly listed as
Pendell Court with
House, now Private school. Dated 1624, extended to left and rear in 1880's.
Brick on brick plinth with stone dressings, parallel range plain tiled roofs
with corbelled front stack to left, diagonal stacks to rear right and 4 stacks
to rear right of centre. 2 storeys with attics in gables, string courses over
ground and first floor. Symmetrical, 5 gabled bays, centre bay projecting,
stone dressed mullion and transomed windows with label mouldings over attic
windows and oval openings to gable tops. Angle bay windows rising through two
floors to outer bays. Central stone arched entrance on chamfered piers with
square panel door behind in moulded surround. Wooden strapwork dog gates across
porch opening with trefoil metal finials. Right hand return front: angle bay
window rising through two floors to left. Left hand return front: C19 single
storey extension to left.
Rear: late C19 dovecot attached to left, wood framed, tile hung above, with square
ogee dome top and iron weathervane finial.
Interior: Panelled entrance hall with black and white stone floor. Dentilled
cornice and original lozenge shape plaster strapwork ceiling decoration. Robust
imitation of original decoration in Billard room to left with stone Jacobean style
fireplace. Jacobean style staircase with square tapering balusters on large
cushions; square spike finials to newel posts. C18 rooms to ground floor right
with fielded panelling, marble fireplaces and lugged doorcase surround: Delicate
floral plasterwork to ceiling and shellhead niche buffets.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England Surrey (1971): pp, 405 -6
VCH, Surrey Volume IV(1967) FP 253.
Listing NGR: TQ3170651889
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings