History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elsham Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elsham, North Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5946 / 53°35'40"N

Longitude: -0.4436 / 0°26'36"W

OS Eastings: 503108

OS Northings: 412014

OS Grid: TA031120

Mapcode National: GBR TVBW.R5

Mapcode Global: WHGG9.5X16

Entry Name: Elsham Hall

Listing Date: 6 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281128

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165915

Location: Elsham, North Lincolnshire, DN20

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Elsham

Built-Up Area: Elsham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Elsham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Wrawby

Listing Text

ELSHAM B 1206
TA 01 SW
(east side, off)
5/13 Elsham Hall
6/11/67
GV II*
Small country house. C17 or earlier origins; late C18 east front and canted
bay to south front for Thompson or Corbett family; extended to north and
west in C19. Alterations and additions of 1933 by Guy Elwes for Geoffrey
Elwes include west front, canted bay to south front, rendering and doorway
to east front, Catholic chapel to north side, and extensive interior
remodelling. C19 north service ranges largely demolished in C20. Limestone
ashlar to earlier sections of south front, rendered ashlar to east front
with limestone dressings, rendered brick to remainder. Westmorland slate
roofs. Approximately square on plan: central east-west section with
entrance hall to south and stairs and chapel to rear, flanked by wings
forming east and west fronts with central entrances. East front: 3 storeys,
3:1:3 bays, with central pedimented bay breaking forward. Ashlar plinth.
Central bay has rusticated ground floor and rusticated quoins above. 3
stone steps to tall round-headed entrance in deep internal porch with
rusticated tunnel vault, large 2-leaf panelled outer doors and glazed inner
doors beneath ornate fanlight. Single large brass hitching rings flanking
entrance. 12-pane recessed sashes to right with chanelled and keyed flat
arches, projecting sills and raised panels below; similar blind windows to
left. First floor: central Venetian window with ashlar pilasters and
central rusticated round arch flanked by moulded cornices; ornate glazing of
1933 to central light. Raised first-floor band to side bays; 12-pane sashes
to right, single sash and 2 blind windows to left beneath channelled and
keyed flat arches. Second floor: small central window with reeded ashlar
frieze and moulded cornice above; second-floor band to side bays, 6-pane
sashes with single blind window to centre left. Dentilled ashlar cornice,
central pediment flanked by blocking course with central raised coped
sections to side bays. Left return forms south garden front: 2-storey, 3-
bay central section flanked by projecting 3-storey single-bay wings with 2-
storey canted bays breaking forward. Plinth, flight of 4 steps with
wrought-iron balustrade to central glazed 2-leaf door with ornate 1933
overlight in ovolo ashlar architrave. Full-length 12-pane sashes to side
bays in reveals and similar architraves. First-floor band to central
section; 12-pane sashes in architraves. Reeded ashlar frieze and cornice,
with blocking course to central section and canted bays. Second floors of
wings (C18 wing to right altered in 1933) have central 8-pane sashes flanked
by pilasters and 6-pane sashes; moulded cornice, pediment above central
sashes, blocking course stepped-up above pediment. Double-span swept roof
to central section, hipped roofs to wings. Lateral stacks to wings.
Interior. East front contains section of late C18 geometric stone staircase
to second floor with scrolled wrought-iron balustrade, moulded handrail and
moulded plasterwork dome with foliate centrepiece, garlands and relief
panels; first-floor bedroom with dentilled cornice, chimneypiece with
composition ornament; beaded-panel window shutters and doors in architraves
throughout. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire,
1978, 232-3; drawing by C Nattes, 1794, Banks Collection, Lincoln City
Library; Elsham, guidebook, 1981. The Field, 17 August 1985, 48-50.


Listing NGR: TA0310812014

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.