History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Draycott and Church Wilne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8951 / 52°53'42"N

Longitude: -1.3383 / 1°20'17"W

OS Eastings: 444612

OS Northings: 333280

OS Grid: SK446332

Mapcode National: GBR 7GR.JGT

Mapcode Global: WHDH2.DHYC

Entry Name: Victoria Mill

Listing Date: 2 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82199

Location: Draycott and Church Wilne, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Civil Parish: Draycott and Church Wilne

Built-Up Area: Breaston

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Wilne St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Risley

Listing Text

PARISH OF DRAYCOTT AND CHURCH WILNE STATION ROAD
SK 43 SW
3/12 (North Side)
Victoria Mill
II

Tenement lace factory, now light industrial works. Erected
between 1888 and 1907, with partial rebuilding after a fire in
1902. Built by E Terah Hooley, a wealthy local industrialist,
and finished by Ernest Jardine. Red brick with blue and yellow
brick and stone dressings. Slate roofs with numerous stone
coped gables on moulded kneelers, plus moulded brick cornice.
Four storeys and 57 bays. Main elevation of Derby Road has
polished granite plinth, rock faced stone ground floor, red
brick with blue brick and stone bands to upper floors and a
moulded and dentilled stone cornice. Five bay facade with
advanced central bay topped by square tower. Ground floor has a
large semi-circular headed doorcase with raised keystone and a
pulvinated frieze and open swan-necked pediment over. Double
panelled doors with fanlight, below. To either side there are
pairs of semi-circular headed windows with rock faced stone
voussoirs, and flush stone bands at sill level. Above there are
pairs of iron casement windows under carved lintels with lozenge
design, to either side of round central window with large
keyblocks. Above again, five similar iron windows under carved
lintels with zig-zag design, and five more iron windows under
moulded lintels above. Central tower above has a deep base
inscribed '1906. JARDINE', with clockfaces to each side over,
flanked by nookshafts to each corner supporting a bracketed
cornice which curves up over the clockfaces. Ogival fish-scale
tiled copper roof to top of tower with vented frieze below.
East elevation has 57 segment headed iron casement windows below
yellow brick heads to ground, first and second floors, each with
stepped pilaster buttress to sides. Top floor has 57 similar
flat headed iron windows below moulded stone lintels. West
elevation is similar except for the addition of four full height
bow fronted staircase turrets with loading doors to all floors
to sides and small segment headed stair windows to front.
Interior has wooden floors supported on iron columns. Steam
engine with rope drive to all floors removed c1958. Chimney and
outside lavatories also demolished. Reputedly the largest lace
factory in the world.


Listing NGR: SK4381034222

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.