History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

All Saints Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Trusley, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9166 / 52°54'59"N

Longitude: -1.6243 / 1°37'27"W

OS Eastings: 425357

OS Northings: 335533

OS Grid: SK253355

Mapcode National: GBR 5CJ.455

Mapcode Global: WHCFM.0YSF

Entry Name: All Saints Church

Listing Date: 19 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281370

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82650

Location: Trusley, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Trusley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Trusley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Trusley

Listing Text

SK 23 NE PARISH OF TRUSLEY MAIN STREET
2/66 (South Side)
19.1.67 All Saints Church
GV II*


Parish church. 1713, built for William Coke of Trusley Hall,
chancel altered and vestry added c1900. Red brick with
vitrified headers and stone dressings and rusticated quoins.
Plain stone plinth with chamfered copings, moulded stone
stringcourse at eaves level and moulded stone copings to flush
parapets. Leaded nave roof hidden by parapets and steeply
pitched, plain tile chancel roof with stone coped east gable.
Nave roof has small square western bellcote with rusticated
quoins, small raised semi-circular headed louvred bell openings
to all sides and moulded stringcourse and copings to parapets,
also an original lead gutter with hopper head dated 1713 and
decorated with Coke coat of arms. Two bay nave with lower
chancel and north vestry. West elevation has central
semi-circular headed window with staff moulded inner edge,
raised fillet to outer edge, raised impost blocks and keystone
which also has a moulded top. Above is the bellcote. North
elevation has large semi-circular headed central window with
similar detailing to west window. To east is the north vestry,
in similar style to rest of church, with rusticated stone
quoins, semi-circular headed north window and east door, both
with similar detailing to north window. Vestry also has plain
west door. East window and two south nave windows, of similar
design and size as north window. South chancel window of
similar design, but smaller and flanked to either side by
attached stone plaques to the Walker family of 1792, 1815 and
1840. Beyond the two nave windows to west is another original
lead gutter, held on by brackets with embossed plaques of suns
and swans, the crests of the Coke and Balliden families. It
also has an elaborately decorated hopper head dated 1713.
Immediately to the west is the impressive original doorcase with
its original raised and fielded panelled door. It has a large
open swan-necked pediment with central achievement over a
triglyphed frieze with bucranium and circles, and plain
pilasters with harebells and wild strawberry flowers to
capitals. The actual doorcase is of similar design to the
windows, ie: with semi-circular head and with raised imposts and
keystone etc. Interior has low segmental arches into the
chancel and at the west end of nave, across the full width of
the nave. Behind the western one are two projecting walls
supporting the bellcote above. Also to west end of nave is a
C20 organ to north and below the bellcote is the original C18
alabaster font with polygonal stem on scrolled feet, supporting
the circular bowl with oak leaf decoration, also with oak cover.
Adjacent to south by the door is an engraved qlass screen
installed c1970 by the Coke family. The nave roof also has
shields of Coke family on the central bosses of the tie beams.
East end of nave has superb triple decker pulpit with large
octagonal tester. Nave has all its original. raised and fielded
panelled oak box pews and the chancel has its original turned and carved baluster
altar rails. Chancel also has various re-set slabstones to the Coke family to the
south wall; these include one to Franciscus Coke and family of c1639, another with
incised figure of lady with ruff to Briget Curzon of c1638 and one to Guilicum Coke
of cl699. To north side of chancel are two early C19 slate and marble wall memorials,
Nave has nine hatchments, seven of the Coke family dated 1713 to 1841, one to Edward
gilmot of 1748, and one a royal coat of anus inscribed AR. It also has three C18
slate and marble wall memorials, one to Samual Davison of c1770, and the other two
to the Coke family. Two south nave windows have C20 stained glass and east window
as C19 stained glass. Also in the church are fragments of the original altar cloth
and a maidens' garland.


Listing NGR: SK2535735533

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.