This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2629 / 51°15'46"N
Longitude: 1.3074 / 1°18'26"E
OS Eastings: 630841
OS Northings: 156721
OS Grid: TR308567
Mapcode National: GBR X17.MCZ
Mapcode Global: VHLGR.MJ17
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281495
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178400
Location: Woodnesborough, Dover, Kent, CT13
Civil Parish: Woodnesborough
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 35 NW WOODNESBOROUGH CHURCH STREET
6/368 Church of St.
11.10.63 Mary the Virgin
Parish church. Circa 1200 with C14 alterations, restored by Christian,
1884. Flint and rubble stone and plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and
aisles, north porch and western tower. Tower in 2 stages with C15 and
C13 fenestration, wooden balustrade and ogee cupola with weathervane
and ball finial, only saved in 1884 by intervention of J.O. Scott.
The exterior is largely Christian's work, with buttresses and renewed
tracery, although the east window is genuine early C14 of 3 lights
with quatrefoiled heads. Interior: fared rather better than the
exterior. Double chamfered tower arch on double rebated moulded abaci.
Nave north arcade of 4 chamfered pointed arches on alternate square
and octagonal piers with deeply scalloped capitals. Four bay south
arcade of unmoulded arches on square piers with simple abaci. Roof
of 4 crown posts, partly restored, and cross-braced north aisle roof,
plastered south aisle. Chancel arch on moulded square responds,
chamfered at corners. Chancel east window reveal with ringed nook
shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, 2 original lancet reveals and roof
of 2 crown posts with renewed rafters. Fittings: C14 sedilia of 3 seats
with quadruple clustered colonettes with cusped ogee heads and
quatrefoils in spandrels, with frieze and crenellated top. Restored
ogee headed piscina. Cross-shelved aumbry on eastern wall. C18 altar
rails with turned balusters. Trecusped piscina and aumbry in south
aisle. Royal Arms of George III on nave west wall. Monuments:
Elizabeth Shrubsole d. 1720. Black wall plaque in the south aisle
with bolection moulded surround, cornice and cartouche. William Gibbs,
d.1777, also in the south aisle. White marble wall plaque on Death's
head base with seated cherubs in Rocaille surround. James Garret,
d.1765, and John Cason, d.1718, similar oval wall plaques with moulded
surrounds and acanthus-leaf supports. Thomas Godfrey, d.1810, in
the chancel. White and black wall monument for a High Sheriff of
Kent. Signed J. Bacon Jnr. Plaque over sarcophagus with broken
sword and shield below. Sir Thomas Bleckenden, d.1661. Small black
wall tablet with broken segmental pediment and cartouche and scrolled
sides with swagged base. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 502-3).
Listing NGR: TR3092456728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings