This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0884 / 53°5'18"N
Longitude: -1.7232 / 1°43'23"W
OS Eastings: 418638
OS Northings: 354606
OS Grid: SK186546
Mapcode National: GBR 47Y.95G
Mapcode Global: WHCDS.HMNR
Entry Name: The Hall
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80368
Location: Parwich, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Parwich
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Parwich St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 18 54 PARISH OF PARWICH SMITHY LANE
10/97 (North Side)
5.2.1952 The Hall
House. c1747, incorporating earlier fragments, c1910 and 1931. Rubble
limestone and red brick with sandstone dressings. Hipped slate roofs, gabled
to the north. Two brick ridge stacks, two gable end stacks and a brick external
stack. Three storeys plus a basement. South elevation - brick with stone
dressings, the main block above a stone basement. Main block of five bays, the
centre bay advanced. Projecting quoins to central bay and to outer bays.
Moulded stone eaves cornice. Basement with four 2-light square section flush
mullion windows. Ground floor with central doorway with moulded stone surround,
coving and rusticated pilasters and cornice. Six-panelled door, the top four
panels raised and fielded. Rectangular overlight with fanlight tracery. Curved
flight of nine stone steps with wrought iron railings. Flanked on each side by
two windows with segmental heads and moulded stone surrounds. C19 casement.
Five similar, but smaller, windows above and above again. The central first floor
window with a pediment. Central pedimented gable flush with the main wall surface
and slightly wider than the centre bay. Service wing to the west, of three bays.
Ground and first floor c1905, three plain sashes to ground floor, segmental
arched casement windows above. Top floor added in 1931 with three windows with
flat heads, with stone lintels and sills. East elevation of four bays with windows
similar to those on the south side. The windows to the two left hand bays are all
blocked. North elevation - rubble limestone with two brick gables of low pitch.
Irregular fenestration, including a tall round-arched glazing bar sash with
moulded stone surround. Above, a glazing bar sash with stone surround, of which
the upper half is the remains of a C17 2-light recessed chamfer mullion window.
In the basement in what are now internal walls, are two 2-light recessed chamfer
mullion windows; also a chimney lintel dated TS 1792. Interior mainly late C18
and early C19. Late C18 chimneypiece in the dining room. Very fine mid-C18
chimneypiece in hall, and a good contemporary staircase.
Listing NGR: SK1863854606
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings