History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12 and 14, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8471 / 51°50'49"N

Longitude: -1.3552 / 1°21'18"W

OS Eastings: 444513

OS Northings: 216691

OS Grid: SP445166

Mapcode National: GBR 7WJ.07G

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.GTDX

Entry Name: 12 and 14, High Street

Listing Date: 13 February 1969

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281586

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253100

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock (West Oxfordshire) B

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOODSTOCK HIGH STREET
SP4416NE (South side)
10/108 Nos.12 and 14
13/02/69 (Formerly listed as No.12,
No.141
GV II
Two houses. c.1765-70. Limestone ashlar front, rubble to rear; double-gabled
concrete tile roof; brick rear stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic;
symmetrical 5-window range. Wrought-iron brackets support flat hoods over C18
six-panelled doors with overlights to centre. Cambered arches over 6-pane
sashes. Raised storey band; hipped roof dormers with 3-pane sashes. To rear are
wrought-iron brackets supporting flat hoods over two C19 half-glazed doors;
2-light casements and two 6-pane sashes; one-storey service ranges with
artificial stone slate roofs. Interior of No.14: late C18 panelled doors;
dog-leg with landing staircase to rear of hall has slender turned balusters set
on closed string; room to left has early C19 marble fireplace and plank dado;
room to right has late C18 moulded stone fireplace with C19 grate, and plank
dado. No.12 not inspected but likely to be of interest. Described as "newly
erected" in 1770: built as endowment to provide for poor of Kirtlington.
(Information from VCH)


Listing NGR: SP4451316690

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.