This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9997 / 51°59'59"N
Longitude: -0.988 / 0°59'16"W
OS Eastings: 469569
OS Northings: 233961
OS Grid: SP695339
Mapcode National: GBR 9XQ.P01
Mapcode Global: VHDT2.TZJW
Entry Name: Old Town Hall
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 15 February 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282685
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377214
Location: Buckingham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Buckingham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 6933 BUCKINGHAM MARKET SQUARE
879-1/6/114 Old Town Hall
Former town hall and court. Built c 1783, incorporating the staircase of the earlier Town Hall of 1685 which was situated to the north of the present building, altered C20. Red brick in Flemish bond, large hipped plain-tile roof: Rectangular main block with semicircular apsidal projection to left and wings to rear left and rear right. 2-storey, 5-window range. Wide central doorway approached by 2 stone steps, with C20 double-leaf doors, fanlight, round-arched head and C20 semicircular iron canopy on wrought-iron brackets. 24-pane sash windows to ground and 1st floors with limestone sills. Ground floor windows are recessed in blank arcade with elliptical arched heads. Wood lintels to ground floor windows, flat-arched heads to 1st floor windows. Rendered plinth, stone cill bands within arches of blank arcade, impost bands to arcade, storey band and dentilled brick eaves. Roof oversails right side wall and has central square, lead-covered oak bell turret with illuminated clock face inserted 1882 and copper ball finial, surmounted by painted copper Swan of Buckingham, the borough crest, which was under restoration at time of survey. 2-storey, rendered apse to left hand side, around which blank arcading and storey band are continued. Within arches curved tripartite sashes at basement level and 12-pane sashes at mezzanine level. Central 6-panel door to basement in pier rising full height of apse and originally continued by a chimney stack. 2-storey wing to rear left has giant niche beside main block, now partly blocked, framing 1st floor window lighting main stair. Right side elevation of main block facing Castle Street has deep timber cove below oversail on moulded rail with dentilled cornice. 2-storey wing to rear right has 3-bay elevation facing Castle Street with central 6-panel double-leaf doors approached by 3 stone steps, with overlight and flat-arched head, flanked by tripartite sashes with similar heads. Blank window to 1st floor above door flanked by 24-pane sashes, all with flat-arched heads. Plinth, cellar windows either side of steps to door, storey band and dentilled brick eaves.
Listing NGR: SP6956833954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings