This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9968 / 51°59'48"N
Longitude: -0.9902 / 0°59'24"W
OS Eastings: 469423
OS Northings: 233632
OS Grid: SP694336
Mapcode National: GBR 9XQ.VW3
Mapcode Global: VHDT8.S2CL
Entry Name: The Manor House twisted Chimneys
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377156
Location: Buckingham, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Buckingham
Built-Up Area: Buckingham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP6933 CHURCH STREET
879-1/6/56 (East side)
13/10/52 The Manor House and Twisted Chimneys
(Formerly Listed as:
Manor house, now divided into 2 houses. Probably early C16,
with C17-C20 alterations. Timber-framed with brick infill,
plain-tile roof and brick lateral stacks. Hall range flanked
by cross wings.
2-storey, 5-window range. 6-panel door to far right of main
range with moulded wood surround and straight hood on scrolled
brackets. Projecting bay to left, between door and large front
lateral stack to left of centre of rendered brick with flat
lead roof continuous with door hood and 12-pane sash window.
To left of stack, alongside left cross wing, a single-storey
extension of coursed rubble with flat roof and plain-tiled
right side slope behind rounded brick-coped gable to front;
leaded 2-light casement window to front with cambered arched
head, similar 3-light window to right side and 6-panel,
part-glazed door next to main range. Close studding to 1st
floor of main range with rendered brick infill, 3-light
casement to right and 1-light leaded windows either side of
Right cross wing of red brick to ground floor, which has
4-light leaded wood mullion and transom window. Close studding
and red brick infill to 1st floor with large ogee braces from
end posts to tie beam, 12-pane sash window to centre and
1-light leaded window to gable. This cross wing has been
slightly extended to right side in brick with cat-slide roof
and probably also to rear, which is in brick and projects to
back of main range. Large lateral brick stack to right side
has rebuilt flue with brattishing to base.
Left cross wing projects considerably to front and has ground
floor of coursed limestone rubble, close studding to 1st floor
with red brick infill and large arch braces from end posts to
cambered tie beam; 12-pane sashes to ground and 1st floor and
leaded 1-light window to gable. The front, projecting part of
this wing is doubled to left side by full-height wing of
coursed squared limestone to ground floor with limestone and
ironstone quoins, and red brick in English bond to 1st floor
replacing timber-framing; cellar window to front and 12-pane
sash to 1st floor with wood lintel. 2-storey, possible former
stair turret to back of this wing. 4-panel, part-glazed door
to left side of main cross wing and further to rear a large
projecting stone lateral stack with fine original barleysugar
twist brick flue and additional square brick flue behind,
Little visible timber-framing to rear which is largely of red
brick with single-storey flat-roofed bay window to rear left
and 2-storey C20 brick porch in angle between main range and
projecting part of right cross wing; sash windows to 1st
floor. The first floor was probably originally jettied.
INTERIOR: main range formerly had ground floor hall, now
divided in two, with stone-flagged floor and chamfered cross
beam ceiling with broach stops, originally with 6
compartments. Large early-mid C18 wood chimneypiece to inner
room with egg-and-dart ornament to fireplace surround, central
lion's mask and foliage sprays to frieze. Drawing room has
Tudor-arched oak doorway to hall with quatrefoil and foliage
to spandrels in square panelled timber-framed partition wall.
Stop-moulded spine beam and stop-moulded joists. Large
original stone fireplace with deep hollow-chamfered
Tudor-arched opening with foliage to spandrels, frieze above
with Tudor roses in quatrefoils alternating with shields in
fleurons. One shield bears 3 rings, believed to be the arms of
Richard Lavynder, Prebendary of Buckingham 1481-1507.
Dogleg stair with widely spaced turned balusters. 1st floor
has struts from posts to tie beams.
Twisted Chimneys (ie left cross wing) has chamfered cross beam
ceiling to ground floor, stone-flagged floors to hall and
kitchen and rebuilt stair with turned balusters. 3-bay roof
with curved braces to tie beams, queen posts to collars and 1
tier of wind-braced purlins. Rear 1st-floor room has part of
original Tudor-arched fireplace with hollow-chamfer innermost
and wave-moulding outermost.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was the manor house of the
Prebendal Manor of Sutton-cum-Buckingham, held by successive
Prebendaries of Lincoln Cathedral until the Dissolution, when
it passed into other hands, being used at some time in the C18
as a school. Queen Elizabeth I dined here around August 1568.
(RCHME: Report on the Historical Monuments of Buckinghamshire:
1913-: 74; Victoria County History: Buckinghamshire: 1925-:
482-3; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Buckinghamshire:
Listing NGR: SP6942133634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings