History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Library and Museum

A Grade II Listed Building in Mere, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0899 / 51°5'23"N

Longitude: -2.2705 / 2°16'13"W

OS Eastings: 381152

OS Northings: 132324

OS Grid: ST811323

Mapcode National: GBR 0V3.NS6

Mapcode Global: FRA 6647.M95

Entry Name: Library and Museum

Listing Date: 7 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283113

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320160

Location: Mere, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Mere

Built-Up Area: Mere

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Mere St Michael the Archangel

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Mere

Listing Text


ST 8032-8132 MERE CHURCH STREET
(north side)
6/32
Library and Museum

GV II

Former National School, now Library and Museum. Dated 1839, enlarged 1892
Squared and coursed limestone rubble, slate roof. A single large space under a
wide-span roof, enlarged by the addition of a classroom at the rear (north) in
1864; facilities were extended at the end of the Cl9 by providing the Grove
Building (q.v.) on the other side of Barton Lane. There is a further flat-
roofed extension of the C20. Front to street is 5 windows; 4 of these are large
4-light plain stone chamfer mullion to cusped heads and with stopped hoods, but
centrally is a smaller 3-light above an oval panel in a keyed rectangular
surround, inscribed in good cursive lettering: 'National School/Built 1839/
Enlarged/1892'. Return gable left has two 4-light as main front; the back has 4
high level windows similar to those on Church Street. Plinth to front returns
left and dies into pavement. Deep eaves, coped gables, small brick gable
stacks. Back wing has a 2-light casement with transome in the gable end, and a
2-light on return. Stone stack with brick shaft. Interior: windows have
elliptical-rere-arches. Original roof trusses, but only the ties now visible
(July 1986). A contemporary comment records that at the opening in 1839
'....between 3 and 400 (children) present were regaled with tea and cake'. An
earlier school (q.v. The Chantry) was run for a while by William Barnes, the
Dorset dialect poet


Listing NGR: ST8114732328

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.