History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Ascension

A Grade II Listed Building in Littleworth, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6723 / 51°40'20"N

Longitude: -1.5495 / 1°32'58"W

OS Eastings: 431248

OS Northings: 197152

OS Grid: SU312971

Mapcode National: GBR 5VQ.51Q

Mapcode Global: VHC0M.375C

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Ascension

Listing Date: 21 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283126

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249488

Location: Littleworth, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Littleworth

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Gainfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Faringdon

Listing Text

LITTLEWORTH LITTLEWORTH
SU 3197

2/3 Church of the Holy
Ascension
21.11.66

- II

Church 1839 by H J Underwood of Oxford with chancel 1876. Rubble stone with
ashlar dressings. Lancet Gothic. 3-bay nave, broad, aisleless with low
pitched stone tiled roof. Side buttresses and diagonal angle buttresses
with string course at level of top set-off and window heads. Dentil eaves
course. More elaborate west front with bellcote and 2-light west window
with quatrefoil light over, all ashlar with hoodmould stepped up from string
course. Gabled porch with shafted moulded arch and carved foliage capitals.
2-bay chancel, crazed rubble. Cusped lancets and 3 lancets to east end.
Projecting plinth. Priest's door with ornate ironwork. Interior: Thin false
hammerbeam nave roof, arched braced collar truss with crown posts to chancel.
East window with-moulded rear arches and triple shafts between lights. In
nave 4 panels of sacred texts painted on metal in a C15 illuminated manuscript
style. Church founded by the Tractarian, E B Pusey.


Listing NGR: SU3124897152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.