This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9986 / 51°59'55"N
Longitude: 0.9384 / 0°56'18"E
OS Eastings: 601808
OS Northings: 237432
OS Grid: TM018374
Mapcode National: GBR SLV.Q1J
Mapcode Global: VHKFM.61Y5
Entry Name: Giffords Hall
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 9 February 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283138
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278551
Location: Stoke-by-Nayland, Babergh, Suffolk, CO6
Civil Parish: Stoke-by-Nayland
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stoke by Nyland
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
5377 Giffords Hall
(formerly listed as
Giffords Hall and ruined
Chapel of St Nicholas)
TM 03 NW 13/809 10.1.53.
The present house, which was built by the Mannock family who held the
manor from 1428, is mainly of the early C16 but incorporates the remains
of an earlier building. There were some alterations and additions in
the early C18 and late C19. The timber-framed house is built around a
quadrangular courtyard with a 2 storeyed red brick gatehouse on the south
side and a great hall on the north. The outer (south) front of the gatehouse
has angle turrets, stepped battlements and brick pinnacles. The windows
have 4-centred heads to the lights and there is a 4-centred arch with
blank tracery in the spandrels and a frieze with cusped tracery above.
The front to the courtyard has 3 stepped gables. The interior of the
great hall has a fine example of a double-hammerbeam roof with carved
arched braces and spandrels, and a late C17 minstrels gallery with twisted
Listing NGR: TM0180837432
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings