History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dugdale's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Compton Bassett, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.461 / 51°27'39"N

Longitude: -1.9536 / 1°57'12"W

OS Eastings: 403322

OS Northings: 173563

OS Grid: SU033735

Mapcode National: GBR 3V1.BX8

Mapcode Global: VHB3X.3J2T

Entry Name: Dugdale's House

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316297

Location: Compton Bassett, Wiltshire, SN11

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Compton Bassett

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Compton Bassett St Swithin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hilmarton

Listing Text

COMPTON BASSETT COMPTON BASSETT VILLAGE
SU 07 SW
9/173 Dugdale's House
20.12.60
II
House, earlier C18, red brick with ashlar dressings and stone slate
roof with coped gables and end stacks. Two storeys and attic, 5-
window range. One hipped dormer with leaded casements. Twelve-
pane sashes in ashlar raised moulded surrounds, the lower windows
with panelled friezes, moulded cornices and brick voussoirs over.
Central 6-panel door in fine ashlar surround, bolection-moulded
with ornamented pulvinated frieze and large open segmental pediment
on consoles. Pediment has panelled soffit and centre urn.
Rubble plinth, ashlar rusticated quoins and coved eaves cornice.
East end has 2-window range of cambered-head 12-pane sashes.
South-east rear wing has original one window range with hipped
dormer, 12-pane sash and door with hood on brackets flanked by
single lights with dripstones. Extended south in simpler style
c1900, hipped at south-east angle and returned west.
House is said to date from 1738. Marked on 1773 Andrews and Drury
map as owned by Michael Smith Esqr.


Listing NGR: SU0332273563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.