History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Post House

A Grade II Listed Building in Filkins and Broughton Poggs, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7373 / 51°44'14"N

Longitude: -1.6556 / 1°39'20"W

OS Eastings: 423878

OS Northings: 204346

OS Grid: SP238043

Mapcode National: GBR 5TT.27V

Mapcode Global: VHC05.8L3J

Entry Name: The Post House

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253518

Location: Filkins and Broughton Poggs, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Filkins and Broughton Poggs

Built-Up Area: Filkins

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Poggs with Filkins

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text

SP2204-2304 FILKINS AND BROUGHTON POGGS VILLAGE STREET
(North-west side)
Filkins
7/196 The Post House
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Shop
premises immediately S of
Filkins Farmhouse)

GV II
House and post office. Dated H?W 1741 on shaped tablet to centre. Coursed
limestone rubble with raised ashlar quoins; stone slate roof with flat stone
gable copings; flanking chimneys, the right ashlar with moulded cornice, the
left rebuilt in brick. 2 storeys and attic, 2 bays. 2-light windows with
chamfered stone mullions and C20 metal glazing bars. Ground floor of right bay
altered to C19 canted wooden shop window on ashlar base. 2 gabled roof dormers
with C20 2-light wooden casements. Central C20 half-glazed door in raised and
chamfered stone surround. Traces of blocked doorway in right gable end, to road.
Rear has 3-pane sashes to ground floor, and C20 metal casements above. Attached
to left gable end is a single-storey former outbuilding, now incorporated in
house, with C20 extensions. Extensions are not of special architectural
interest.


Listing NGR: SP2387804346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.