History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hordley House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wootton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8696 / 51°52'10"N

Longitude: -1.3525 / 1°21'9"W

OS Eastings: 444676

OS Northings: 219200

OS Grid: SP446192

Mapcode National: GBR 7W4.LW7

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.H8VL

Entry Name: Hordley House

Listing Date: 27 August 1957

Last Amended: 29 June 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283262

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252945

Location: Wootton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Wootton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton, Glympton and Kiddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woodstock

Listing Text

WOOTTON
SP41NW
6/290 Hordley House
27/08/57 (Formerly listed as Hordley
Farmhouse and Gazebo)
GV II*
House, now house and 3 flats. Mid/late C16; remodelled and range to left of
courtyard built c.1600 for John Gregory (d.1613); rear range remodelled in 1730
(datestone) for John Gregory; alterations and front of c.1810 for Blenheim
Estate. Coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble. Gabled stone slate roofs; late
C19 brick ridge and end stacks to front range; range to left has early C17 stone
end stack with diagonally-set brick flue, and massive lateral stone stack with
range of 5 diamond-set flues. Courtyard plan. 2 storeys and attic; 6-window
range front. Early C19 semi-circular arched doorway has 6-panelled door with
Gothick fanlight. Flat stone arches over 4 early C19 eight-pane sashes, and
timber lintels over C19 casements with iron opening lights. Mid/late C16 right
range has chamfered round-headed light with sunk spandrels and 3-light chamfered
wood-mullioned window, and a similar mid/late C16 two-light round-headed window
in rear gable. Left range of c.1600 has 2 and 3-light ovolo-moulded
wood-mullioned windows, gabled dormer and late C19 gable. Rear range has c.1730
flat stone arches, and pierced stone ventilators to former dairy outshut; C17
four-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned window in right gable. Rear wing with
brick dressings built 1883. Facing courtyard are C17 ovolo-moulded
wood-mullioned windows, some with leaded lights, to all ranges: early C19
panelled doors to front and rear ranges, former with blocked C16 gallery doorway
over, and also a plank dairy door to rear wing. Interior: front range has early
C17 panelling with reeded frieze and early C19 marble fireplace in room to
right; stop-chamfered doorway to left; above are 2 similar panelled rooms, an
early C17 arched fireplace and C17 panelling in gallery; stop-chamfered door
frame to right wing, early C17 panelled door set in heavy chamfered frame and
C17 panelled door to attic; 4-bay mid/late C16 roof of collar trusdses with
clasped purlins and windbraced lower order of purlins clasped between principal
rafter and jowled queen strut; later C16 two-bay butt-purlin roof to left of
stack. Rear right wing has newel stairs, stop-chamfered beams and chamfered
doorframes with C17 panelled door to attic. Early C17 rear left wing has
stop-chamfered beams; stop-chamfered doorways to front and moulded arched
doorway with carved spandrels and similar chamfered doorway to rear of newel
stairs; first-floor room has rare set of C17 panelled linen cupboards, with
decorative S-hinges and parts of 1758 inventory affixed to rear doors; C17
panelled door to rear room which has chamfered bressumer over fireplace;
collar-truss roof with butt purlins. Rear range has stop-chamfered beams,
moulded and arched stone fireplace, winder stairs and C17 plank door.
(VCR: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p266; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p860;
National Monuments Record)


Listing NGR: SP4467619200

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.