History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Luckington, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5441 / 51°32'38"N

Longitude: -2.2328 / 2°13'57"W

OS Eastings: 383954

OS Northings: 182824

OS Grid: ST839828

Mapcode National: GBR 1Q2.0BN

Mapcode Global: VH95X.7GZ4

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283264

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316012

Location: Luckington, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Luckington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sherston Magna, Easton Grey, Luckington and Alderton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Luckington

Listing Text


LUCKINGTON ALDERTON
ST 88 SW (east side)

2/199 The Old School House

GV II


School-house, now house, 1844-5 by J. Thomson for J. Neeld of
Grittleton, rubble stone with stone slate eaves roofs, originally
singe storey schoolroom with picturesque three-stage pyramid-roofed
south entrance tower, now inserted floor and C20 fenestration.
Tower has raised bands, ground floor reused medieval double-ogee
moulded pointed doorway with C15 plank door, second stage lancet,
possible also re-used and bell attached to top stage. Schoolroom
has raised band and saddlestones at gable ends, but fenestration of
projected timber oriels on brackets appears all C20 or renewed.
Five-light west side window, breaking band, with hipped stone slate
hood over, 3-light to each floor at north end, 3-light to upper
floor at south end. Rear wing formerly with reused medieval
window, now C20 mullion window. Re-used medieval stonework came
from the church at Alderton.
(J. Thomson History of the Church and Village of Alderton 1845
(unpubl) )


Listing NGR: ST8395482824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.