History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

British Rail Engineering Limited Swindon Works no 15 Shop (Q Shop) and Western Bay of Brass Stores (Formerly K Shop)

A Grade II Listed Building in Mannington and Western, Swindon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5627 / 51°33'45"N

Longitude: -1.797 / 1°47'49"W

OS Eastings: 414171

OS Northings: 184885

OS Grid: SU141848

Mapcode National: GBR YNX.CM

Mapcode Global: VHB3D.SZWF

Entry Name: British Rail Engineering Limited Swindon Works no 15 Shop (Q Shop) and Western Bay of Brass Stores (Formerly K Shop)

Listing Date: 18 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283270

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318815

Location: Swindon, SN2

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Mannington and Western

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon St Augustine

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret

Listing Text

RODBOURNE ROAD
SU 1484 NW SWINDON
BREL: Swindon Works
5/153 No. 15 Shop (Q Shop) and western bay
of Brass Stores (formerly K Shop)
18.5.84
GV II

Wagon shops, now forges, pre 1849. By Daniel Gooch and I.K.
Brunel. Coursed rubble mostly with corrugated sheet and glazed
roofs. In 2 sections, within No. 15 shop to the north, of what was
once a continuous range of building, originally the wagon shop of
the works as completed in 1849. The external (west) wall of No. 15
shop is of 19 bays. Of the Brass Stores, 18 bays, each divided by
a pilaster, the glazing is partly original mullion and transom with
3 vertical panes in each quarter, these windows pivot, and partly late
sashes. The roof construction internally is wrought iron. Despite
many alterations most of the west range of shops as shown in the
1849 painting of the completed works is preserved here, a
significant part of the second period of development. One of an
important group of Victorian industrial buildings at the GWR works.


Listing NGR: SU1417184885

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.