History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Queen's Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6706 / 51°40'14"N

Longitude: -1.2816 / 1°16'53"W

OS Eastings: 449776

OS Northings: 197113

OS Grid: SU497971

Mapcode National: GBR 7YR.6S7

Mapcode Global: VHCY6.Q8TN

Entry Name: Former Queen's Hotel

Listing Date: 19 January 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283279

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250407

Location: Abingdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Abingdon on Thames

Built-Up Area: Abingdon

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Abingdon-on-Thames

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Abingdon

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/11/2012


SU 4997 1/80
752
19.1.51


MARKET PLACE
No. 14
(Former Queen's Hotel)


(Formerly listed as The Queen's Hotel)


GV
II


Ancient origins of which nothing remains. C18 front elevation has
been extensively altered.
Left hand section. Three storeys and attic. Painted brick. Slate roof,
half hipped to left, one dormer with casement, no glazing bars.
Rendered parapet. Second floor-two windows, no glazing bars, in
moulded flush frames, flat arches. On first and ground floor, modern
canted bay.
Right hand section. Early C18. Three storeys and attics. Slate
roof with one dormer, casement, no glazing bars. Modern parapet.
Dentil cornice. Painted brick. Three windows, flush frames, double
lint sashes with glazing bars, gauged brick arches. Brick rusticated
quoins. Modern ground floor windows and double door.
Previously 'The Antelope Inn', mentioned in Pepy's Diary under June 9
1688 before this known as New Inn, a guest house for visitors to the
Abbey .

Nos. 14 to 21 (consec) form a group.


Listing NGR: SU4977497118

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.