History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Bow

A Grade II Listed Building in Marcham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6662 / 51°39'58"N

Longitude: -1.3492 / 1°20'56"W

OS Eastings: 445109

OS Northings: 196576

OS Grid: SU451965

Mapcode National: GBR 7YN.FQJ

Mapcode Global: VHCY5.KDM2

Entry Name: West Bow

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283347

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249651

Location: Marcham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Marcham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marcham with Garford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Garford

Listing Text

MARCHAM FRILFORD ROAD
SU4596 (North side)
18/153 No.50 (West Bow)
09/02/66 (Formerly listed as West Bow
No.50)

- II

House. Datestone 1740: remodelling of C17 house. Roughcast front to coursed
limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof; symmetrical end stacks, of brick to
left and stone to right. 3-unit plan. Central 2 storeys; 3-window range. Carved
brackets to flat hood over early C19 six-panelled (2 glazed) door. C19 two-light
casement to right, and three 8-pane sashes to left of door: first-floor 3-light
leaded casements flank datestone, which reads "IHE/March ye ii/1740". Dentilled
cornice. C19 outbuilding to right, of similar materials, has C19 plank door
adjoining C19 three-light casement with one opening pane. Early C19 six-panelled
door to rear. C18 rear wing of one storey and attic, and similar materials, C17
two-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned window in right side wall. Interior:
cased beams. Open fireplace to left is flanked by cupboard and fielded panelled
door to winder staircase. Winder stairs adjoin open fireplace with moulded
overmantel to right. First floor: C18 two-panelled and plank doors, chamfered
beams. Left room has C18 panelled spice cupboard and mid C18 fireplace with
moulded overmantel. Plank door to winder stairs rising to attic: 3-bay post- and
pad roof of heavy scantling with clasped purlins.


Listing NGR: SU4510996576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.