History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Street Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Framlingham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2262 / 52°13'34"N

Longitude: 1.3175 / 1°19'3"E

OS Eastings: 626670

OS Northings: 263849

OS Grid: TM266638

Mapcode National: GBR WNM.HWH

Mapcode Global: VHLB3.S9CR

Entry Name: New Street Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283481

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286392

Location: Framlingham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Framlingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Framlingham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Framlingham

Listing Text

TM 26 SE FRAMLINGHAM NEW STREET

2/114 New Street Farmhouse
-

- II

Farmhouse. Mid and late C16. Part 2 storeys, part 2 scoreys and attics.
Timber-framed and rendered, with panels of C20 pargetting. Clay pantiled
roof. A C20 2-storey wing extends on the east side, and there is an extension
to the main range of the same date. C20 plain 2-light casement windows and
porch. The main range has a 3-cell form, with an internal chimney-stack, but
is not all of one build. The 2 central bays, which form a single large room
on the ground floor, are the oldest part of the house: studding exposed, and
evidence of original diamond mullioned windows on both floors; ceiling with
plain joists and main beam with chamfer and pyramid stops. Remains of long
arched braces to the tie-beams. Plain queen-post roof. The chimney-stack,
and the parlour on its south side, are an addition to these 2 bays replacing
an earlier section of the house. There is evidence of a doorhead with arched
spandrels in the wall immediately adjacent to the stack, which indicates a
former cross-entry. The parlour end has chamfered joists and main beams with
ogee-stops, and original upper ceilings. On the upper floor, 2 6-light
mullioned windows in situ, with cavetto moulding to the mullions. The roof
has unstepped butt purlins. The service area at the north end may well be
contemporary with the parlour. The house has associations with Nicholas
Danforth, who emigrated to America with his family in 1635. (See John Booth:
'The Home of Nicholas Danforth in Framlingham, Suffolk, England, in 1635',
published by the Framlingham Historical and Natural History Society, 1954.)


Listing NGR: TM2667063849

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.