This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4605 / 53°27'37"N
Longitude: -2.7246 / 2°43'28"W
OS Eastings: 351983
OS Northings: 396211
OS Grid: SJ519962
Mapcode National: GBR 9XDF.X7
Mapcode Global: WH875.38TZ
Entry Name: New Double Lock on the Sankey Canal
Listing Date: 8 December 1977
Last Amended: 23 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216373
Location: St. Helens, WA9
County: St. Helens
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre
Built-Up Area: St Helens
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Parr Mount Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 59 NW ST. HELENS LOCK STREET
4/82 New double lock
on the Sankey
(Formerly listed as New Double
- Lock, Lower Basin and that part
of the Upper Basin North of the
II New Road
Double lock basin and one pair of gates on Thatto Heath and
Ravenhead extension to the Sankey Canal. c.1772. Engineer
probably H. Berry. Staircase lock of 2 levels partly of
stone, partly of brick with rounded stone copings. Upper
lock gates remain. Partially filled with rubbish.
Historical interst as part of the earliest British canal
associated with the pre-railway transport of coal.
Listing NGR: SJ5198396211
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings