History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in West Park, St. Helens

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4412 / 53°26'28"N

Longitude: -2.7562 / 2°45'22"W

OS Eastings: 349865

OS Northings: 394093

OS Grid: SJ498940

Mapcode National: GBR 9X6N.24

Mapcode Global: WH874.MRQR

Entry Name: Church of St John Evangelist

Listing Date: 23 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283506

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216366

Location: St. Helens, WA10

County: St. Helens

Electoral Ward/Division: West Park

Built-Up Area: St Helens

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Ravenhead St John

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Saint Helens

Listing Text

SJ 49 SE ST. HELENS CROSSLEY ROAD
(west side)

7/76 Church of
Saint John
- Evangelist

- II


Church. 1869-70. J.M. and H. Taylor. Rubble walling of
stone and industrial waste with brick banding and brick and
stone dressings, slate roof. Nave with double-pitched roof
and north porch; chancel with north chapel and south organ
loft under lean-to roofs. Nave of 4 bays with deep,
weathered buttresses flanked by lancets. Porch has lean-to
roof and gabled entrance. West end has triple lancets with
window above of 4-lights with simple brick tracery; flanking
buttresses and end paired lancets. Chancel has clerestory
with 2 lancets; east window of 3 lights with Geometrical
tracery with flanking gabled and panelled buttresses. Chapel
has window of 4 lancets to north and east 2-light window
with patterned brick tympanum. Organ loft has 2-light window
with segmental-headed lights and patterned brick tympanum.
Bellcote at junction of nave and chancel and flanking
pinnacles with eagle finials. Lateral stack to south side of
chancel. Interior has nave roof of double hammer beam
trusses. Brick walls with some polychromy. Chancel screen of
wrought iron dated 1885. Font of pudding basin form with 4
angle shafts. Pulpit has square brick base and octagonal top
with broaches in angles and cusped niche. Chancel has 3-bay
arcading with no moulding or capitals. Timber reredos.
Chapel has C20 screen. Good stained glass east window of
1884; lower west window commemorates nurse who died in South
African war, 1900.


Listing NGR: SJ4986594093

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.