This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7356 / 51°44'8"N
Longitude: -1.6359 / 1°38'9"W
OS Eastings: 425236
OS Northings: 204163
OS Grid: SP252041
Mapcode National: GBR 5TV.17C
Mapcode Global: VHC05.LMHV
Entry Name: Group of 5 Chest Tombs 2-7 Metres East of Church of St Peter and St Paul, in Angle Between South Transept and Chancel
Listing Date: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253437
Location: Broadwell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Broadwell
Built-Up Area: Broadwell (West Oxfordshire) B
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP2404/2504 BROADWELL VILLAGE STREET
8/123 Group of 5 chest tombs 2-7m E
of Church of St. Peter and St.
Paul, in angle between S
transept and chancel
Group of 5 chest tombs, all of limestone. 1) to Elizabeth, wife of Martin
Turner, 1724, and to son Martin 1729. End panels have later inscriptions to
Francis Turner 1739 and Mary Turner 1749. Inscription panels are moulded the
south-east panel with flanking scrolls. Moulded cornice lid with bale top. 2) to
William ?, mid-late C18, with mostly illegible inscriptions. Moulded cornice lid
and top; recessed corners with square balusters; carved cherub heads on
south-east and south-west inscription panels. 3) to William Bolt 1775, with
later inscriptions to William Bolt 1798, William Bolt 181?, and Mary Bolt 1821.
A taller tomb with moulded base, cornice lid and high moulded top. South-east
and north-west panels project, the former with foliated scroll border and winged
cherub head, the latter with simpler moulded panels. Ends have carved foliage
friezes with shell motifs, the south-west end with oval panel, the north-east
end with foliated panel. 4) to Margaret ?, late C18, with moulded cornice lid
and top. Moulded inscription panels, that to south-east with foliated scroll
ornament to either side. 5) to Mary ?, late C18. Moulded base, coved cornice lid
with small coffin-shaped slab on top. Moulded inscription panels, one with
winged cherub head. Triple fluted pilasters.
Listing NGR: SP2523004163
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings