History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Poultry Farm Cottage weavers Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Biddestone, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4647 / 51°27'52"N

Longitude: -2.2338 / 2°14'1"W

OS Eastings: 383856

OS Northings: 173996

OS Grid: ST838739

Mapcode National: GBR 1R1.02V

Mapcode Global: VH969.7GG0

Entry Name: Poultry Farm Cottage weavers Cottage

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Last Amended: 9 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283601

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317164

Location: Biddestone, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Biddestone

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Slaughterford

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Slaughterford

Listing Text

BIDDESTONE SLAUGHTERFORD
ST 87 SW
4/74 Weavers Cottage and Poultry Farm
Cottage
20.12.60 (formerly listed as Manor House
Poultry Farm)

GV II

House, now 3 cottages, C16, 1620 and C18. Rubble stone with stone
tiled roofs. 'L'-plan, the original range facing south, extended
to west 1620 and north east rear wing added in C18. 2 storeys and
attic. South front: coped east end gable with saddlestone, 2
ridge stacks, one rebuilt and rebuilt west end wall stack. Front,
from right, 5-window range, 2-light chamfered mullion window and
C20 door and window below with two 2-light ovolo-mullion windows
with hoods above, then renewed 12-pane sash with modern dormer
gable above, then principal door in cyma-moulded surround with
stone slab enclosed porch, and at left end, C20 French window with
3-light ovolo-mullion window and hood in stone gable. East end
gable has 2-light Tudor arched mullion window, possibly reset.
North side: full height 6-light window in 3 tiers of 2-light
ovolo-mullioned windows, centre pair blocked, apparently a hall
light, but made of reused pieces. To right, 2-light window over
C20 window, then gable with 2-light ovolo-mullion windows with
hoods to each floor and at right end, single light stone ground
floor window. Rear wing: Attached to north east corner of
original range with coped south gable and saddlestone and north end
wall brick stack. Cyma-moulded mullion windows with hoods, 3-
light to ground and first floor of east side, 2-light to south end
attic. Very small single light first floor window to west side.
Interior: The main range is apparently a 2-bay cruck framed open
hall house with raised cruck trusses, the bases only visible and
central truss concealed apart from collar. Inserted floor with
broad chamfer and stop to beams. Unheated east end has heavy
floor joists. One moulded upright post visible on west side of
present party wall. West end passage and large room with ovolo-
moulded wall beams and spine beam. Inglenook fireplace with
timber lintel carried right across, over small doorway to right of
fireplace. Inscribed date 1620.


Listing NGR: ST8385673996

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.