History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Market Weston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3648 / 52°21'53"N

Longitude: 0.9219 / 0°55'18"E

OS Eastings: 599038

OS Northings: 278105

OS Grid: TL990781

Mapcode National: GBR SGC.RX5

Mapcode Global: VHKCN.XTRH

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284408

Location: Market Weston, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Market Weston

Built-Up Area: Market Weston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Market Weston

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Market Weston

Listing Text

TL 97 NE MARKET WESTON CHURCH ROAD

1/55 Church of St. Mary
14.7.55
-
II*

Parish Church. C14; restored 1846-7 by Cottingham, and again in 1888-9.
Nave, chancel, south porch and west tower: mainly in rubble flint with plain
freestone dressings; high C19 bases of black knapped flint to walls of nave
and porch; nave, much restored, faced in kidney flints. Plaintiled roofs with
high, plain parapets. Plain stone-faced buttresses to nave; diagonal
buttresses to-east end of nave and chancel. High, 2-light windows to nave
with flowing tracery: the north-east window is blocked, apart from the head;
the north-west window has fragments of medieval glass in the head. 2-light
C19 windows to chancel, with a form of cusped Y-tracery; 3-light east window
with flowing tracery, and C19 stained glass in the head. All the windows in
the church have diamond-leaded panes and some crown glass. C15 south porch:
open timber roof with ovolo-moulded main beam; south face with rectangular
flushwork panels of black knapped flint; a canopied niche above the doorway,
and a trefoil-headed canopied niche to each side. The south door has reused
iron fittings, including C17 hinges, and a canopied niche above with a
reinstated figure of the Virgin and Child. Tower in 5 stages, with 2
intermediate string-courses and a plain parapet of black knapped flint. Stair
turret on the south side, with a conical, stone-tiled roof. A 2-light window
with curvilinear tracery to each face of the top stage. The line of a higher,
earlier roof can be seen on the east face. Victorianised interior to nave and
chancel, all fittings dating from one or other of the C19 restorations. A
very plain double hammerbeam roof to nave, the upper hammerbeams supporting
arched braces which meet in a central pendant below the collar. Simple
pierced and dentilled cornice. Some ovolo-moulding to main timbers. The
roof, said to be C19, could well be C17, and the 6-bay single-hammerbeam roof
to the nave, in similar style, could be of the same date, reused. Hanoverian
arms, painted and framed, on the north wall of nave.


Listing NGR: TL9903878105

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.