History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Derby, Sefton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4488 / 53°26'55"N

Longitude: -2.9828 / 2°58'58"W

OS Eastings: 334825

OS Northings: 395124

OS Grid: SJ348951

Mapcode National: GBR 745.SP

Mapcode Global: WH871.4KWX

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 17 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283643

English Heritage Legacy ID: 216413

Location: Sefton, L20

County: Sefton

Electoral Ward/Division: Derby

Built-Up Area: Bootle

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Bootle Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Waterloo

Listing Text

BOOTLE BREEZE HILL
SJ 39 NW
(north side)
9/13 Christ Church
G.V. II
Church. 1866. By Slater and Carpenter. Red stone with
yellow stone banding, slate roof. Nave with aisles; west
tower with porch; chancel with north vestry and south
chapel. Tower has set back buttresses; 3-light west window
with plate tracery and clock face above. Porch has hipped
roof and south entrance. Bell stage has clasping buttresses
with nook shafts and paired louvred bell openings. Splayed
spire has quatrefoil pinnacles at angles and quatrefoil
piercings. 5-bay nave has aisles with paired cusped lancets
between weathered buttresses. Clerestory has 10 single
lights. Vestry and chapel have hipped roofs and two 2-light
plate tracery windows. Chancel has canted end and 2-light
windows. Interior has painted brick polychromy. Nave
arcades on round piers with early English capitals. Arch-
braced collar roof on corbels. Chancel arch on paired
responds; arcading and 3-bay reredos with mosaic work.
Wrought iron light fittings. Font under tower of 1871,
octagonal on marble piers. Screen of 1920, organ of 1925.
The church occupies an important site overlooking the town.


Listing NGR: SJ3482595124

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.