History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Kington Langley, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4911 / 51°29'28"N

Longitude: -2.1106 / 2°6'38"W

OS Eastings: 392418

OS Northings: 176913

OS Grid: ST924769

Mapcode National: GBR 2S4.F6Z

Mapcode Global: VH965.CSK8

Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283658

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315881

Location: Kington Langley, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Kington Langley

Built-Up Area: Kington Langley

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Kington Langley and Draycot Cerne

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Sutton Benger

Listing Text

KINGTON LANGLEY CHURCH LANE
ST 97 NW (north side)

8/70 Church of Saint Peter

GV II


Anglican parish church, 1855-7 by Charles H. Gabriel, squared
rubble stone with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof, coped gables
and west end ashlar gabled bellcote. Nave and south porch, chancel
and north vestry/organ chamber. Lancet windows and shallow
buttresses. Four-window nave with paired lancets and south side
large stone-slated timber porch. Moulded and shafted pointed
doorway within. West end has stepped mid-buttress with lancet each
side and quatrefoil roundel above. Two-window chancel has sill-
course and smaller single lancet lights, 2 to south, one to north
and east end 3-light stepped-lancet window. North side projecting
vestry has hipped roof carried down low on north end, west side
shouldered-head doorway and two small east side lights.
Interior: 4-bay nave roof of 1906 with deep arch-braced collar
trusses on corbels, 2-chamfer chancel arch, the inner arch on
foliate-carved capitals and 2-bay scissor truss chancel roof.
Bright coloured east window 1861 and one nave south window of 1906.
Stone pulpit and font.
(Rev W.J. Meers, Langley Fitzurse and Draycot Cerne, 1956)


Listing NGR: ST9241876913

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.