This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5537 / 51°33'13"N
Longitude: -1.7743 / 1°46'27"W
OS Eastings: 415744
OS Northings: 183897
OS Grid: SU157838
Mapcode National: GBR YSB.5Q
Mapcode Global: VHB3M.66BQ
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 2 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318719
Location: Swindon, SN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Town
Built-Up Area: Swindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Swindon Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 1583 NE SWINDON
8/60 Christ Church
Anglican parish church, 1851, by George Gilbert Scott. Rock-faced
sandstone with Bath ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Nave with
aisles, transepts, chancel and west tower. Side organ chamber and
Lady chapel to chancel. Lobbies to sides of tower, and south porch
of 1916. Early Decorated style. 2-light aisle windows with
quatrefoil heads, 4-light transept windows and 5-light chancel
east window, all Geometric tracery with slight cusping. Tower of 3
stages, with west gabled porch and corner buttresses. 2-light
belfry openings within 2 deep-chamfered orders. Broach spire with
lucarnes at bottom, quatrefoils above clock of 1843. Lady chapel,
1935 by Harold Brakspear with canopied figure of The Good Shepherd.
Interior: 3 bays arcade on octagonal columns, nave and aisles
extended into transepts and western bay with little break. 8
clerestory windows. 4-bay roof of crown posts and arch braces to
stained rafters and boarding. Rood beam. Chancel raised by 2
steps, 3 bays and one arch to side chambers. Capitals with semi-
naturalistic leaves. Encaustic tiles. Chancel was refurbished
1883. Font: West end of aisle, alabaster, square with octagonal
corners on columns, 1905. Reredos 1896, marble and alabaster with
panels of the Expulsion from Eden and the Annunciation. Organ,
Gray and Davison of London. Pulpit, 1906, marble and alabaster,
octagonal on columned base. 4 figures, and marble balustrade.
Lectern: Brass eagle of 1881. Much glass of 1855 - 60 and of
period 1891-1902 and in west window of north transept, view through
hollyhocks of The Lawn, Goddard and Christ Church Oxford arms,
1931, by M. Travers. Marble war memorial of Great War victims by
font. Many of the fittings were donations of the Goddard family.
(Original plan in NMR 1942/274).
Listing NGR: SU1575583902
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings