History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Peter's Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westleton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2653 / 52°15'55"N

Longitude: 1.5736 / 1°34'25"E

OS Eastings: 643943

OS Northings: 269036

OS Grid: TM439690

Mapcode National: GBR XPQ.W4V

Mapcode Global: VHM7J.7B87

Entry Name: St Peter's Church

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Last Amended: 16 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283793

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285581

Location: Westleton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Westleton

Built-Up Area: Westleton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Westleton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Westleton

Listing Text

TM 46 NW WESTLETON THE STREET (west side)

5/65 St. Peter's Church
7.12.66 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Peter)
GV II*

Parish church. Nave, chancel, south porch. Early C14. Random flint with
remains of plasterwork to north and west of nave; thatched roof to nave and
chancel, plaintiles to porch. At the west end of the nave are the roofed-over
remains of the original tower (collapsed 1770) and later successor (demolished
mid C20): these have been replaced by a brick bellcote. Nave and chancel each
of 3 bays; mainly restored 2-light windows with Y tracery although the north
nave and chancel each have one 3-light C15 window; west end of south chancel
wall has one additional smaller mid C14 window set lower down; Priest's doorway
to south chancel, blocked doorway to north nave; fine 5-light east window with
intersecting tracery, renewed 1977. Simple C14 south porch, with repairs in
brick and brick parapet. C15 octagonal font with carved bowl and stem; good set
of 16 nave benches with poppyhead ends and side doors, installed in 1857; north
stalls of chancel incorporate traceried remains of C15 rood screen. South
chancel with fine early C14 triple sedilia and piscina with cinquefoil cusped
arches under continuous moulding and circular pillars with broad capitals and
bases. Splay of south east nave window has trefoil-headed niche; nearby in
south nave wall is a simple piscina: these indicate the position of a medieval
altar. Eastern splay of north east nave window incorporates the richly carved
remains of a founder's tomb. Chancel with C14 Purbeck marble slab with
canopied indent of a priest and several black ledger slabs, mostly C18; north
chancel wall with 3 early-mid C19 monuments to members of the Woods family.
Graded II* for surviving medieval fabric.


Listing NGR: TM4394369036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.