This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1277 / 51°7'39"N
Longitude: -2.3271 / 2°19'37"W
OS Eastings: 377205
OS Northings: 136538
OS Grid: ST772365
Mapcode National: GBR 0TN.6GG
Mapcode Global: VH97S.MX3D
Entry Name: The Manor House with Attached Malthouse to Rear
Listing Date: 9 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283907
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321180
Location: Kilmington, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Kilmington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Stour
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
KILMINGTON CHURCH ROAD
ST 73 NE
3/74 The Manor House with attached
Malthouse to rear
Detached house with former malthouse to rear. Probably C17,
altered mid C19, early C20. Rubblestone, Welsh slate roof with
brick stacks. L-plan. Two-storey, 3-window west front. Gabled
C19 two-storey porch with Tudor-arched doorway, studded door, 3-
light chamfered mullioned casement with hoodmould over door,
heraldic arms of Panter family, ornate bargeboards, 3-light
casement to left and two 3-light casements to right. First floor
has 3-light casement to left and 2-light casement to right of
porch, straight joint divides left hand bay from rest. Left return
has C20 casements with gothic glazing bars. Right return has
gabled porch with planked door, 3-light casement to left and 2-
light casement to right, two 3-light casements and one 2-light to
first floor. Square bellcote to roof with weathervane. Rear of
main range has early C20 square bays with leaded casements,
picturesque slate verandah, gabled bay to left with C19 timber-
frame, lean-to extension to left with planked door and 3-light
Interior has deep chamfered beams, some good joinery including,
doors with 4 fielded panels or 6 panels. Central drawing room has
C19 panelling with carved frieze in C17 style; similar panelling in
porch. Open fireplace with reset C17 richly carved pilasters,
Delft tile fireback. C19 fireplace in north room has reset C17
carved wooden panels. Large malthouse attached to rear probably
c.1800, rubblestone with slate roof, 3-storey with small fixed
windows and casements, interior retains beams to removed floors.
Katherine Pleydell-Bouverie, the potter, lived here until her death
in 1985: her workroom was in the malthouse. The Hartgill family,
agents to Lords Stourton lived here until C19, Panters acquired
house c.1860 and made extensive alterations, including porch.
(Countryside Treasures, 1969).
Listing NGR: ST7720536538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings