History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Dunwich, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2777 / 52°16'39"N

Longitude: 1.6264 / 1°37'35"E

OS Eastings: 647474

OS Northings: 270594

OS Grid: TM474705

Mapcode National: GBR YXX.40Z

Mapcode Global: VHM7K.40PQ

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283930

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285539

Location: Dunwich, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Dunwich

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Dunwich St James

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Dunwich

Listing Text

TM 47 SE DUNWICH LEET HILL

7/23 Church of St. James
7.12.66

GV II

Parish church. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. 1837-42 by Robert
Appleton; considerably altered 1881, probably by E.F. Bisshopp: chancel
added, nave cased in flint and given new windows, tower rebuilt and interior
re-cast. Brick core with random flint and stone facing, stucco dressings;
plaintiled roof with crest tiles, slates to porch. Narrow square tower,
diagonal buttresses to west face, crenellated parapet; narrow lancet bell 1
chamber openings, clock face to north. Nave with 3 2-light windows in
Decorated style to north and south; chancel with one broad lancet to north and
south and a 3-light semi-circular headed east window with wooden reticulated
tracery. Good 7 bay arch-braced nave roof, 3-bay chancel roof of similar
design, both with richly carved corbels to wall posts. Set of 32 benches to
nave with carved poppyheads; other good carved woodwork includes rood screen,
pulpit, altar rails, stalls, holy table and reredos; octagonal font in Norman
style. Monument to Michael Barne (d.1837) by William Behnes on north chancel
wall: sarcophagus with profile head in relief, long inscription; south
sanctuary wall with monument to Frederick Barne (d. 1886), the last M.P. for
Dunwich; in the south west corner of the nave is a mounted fragment of a C16
brass inscription from All Saints Church.


Listing NGR: TM4747470594

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.