History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Grundisburgh, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1164 / 52°6'58"N

Longitude: 1.2297 / 1°13'46"E

OS Eastings: 621220

OS Northings: 251370

OS Grid: TM212513

Mapcode National: GBR VNJ.CPB

Mapcode Global: VHLBN.82GF

Entry Name: White House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285460

Location: Grundisburgh, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Grundisburgh

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Grundisburgh St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Witnesham

Listing Text

GRUNDISBURGH (Off) STONEY ROAD
TM 25 SW
(West side)
2/94
White House Farmhouse
II
Farmhouse. C17 with addition dated as 1834 on stone. Timber framed with
colourwashed render and whitewashed Flemish bond brick with a slate roof.
Two storeys. Double-ridge plan. Entrance front: the 1834 portion of 3
symmetrically arranged bays projects at right. This has a classical door
surround at centre with framed convex panels to either side and brackets
supporting a shelf-porch. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels with
rectangular fanlight which has intersecting tracery. To right and left of
this at ground floor level are sash windows of 4 x 4 panes with flat-arched
heads and slightly projecting bays of brick. To the first floor are 2
lateral windows also of 4 x 4 panes with panelled lintels and a central
bullseye window of C20 date. To the centre above the door is a rectangular
datestone which reads W.C 1834. Hipped roof to the early C19 portion and
gabled to the C17 part. Recessed at left of this is one bay of the C17
range which has a ground floor sash window of 3 x 4 panes and a 2-light
first floor window. The left hand side of the building has to the early
C19 portion at right, a 2-light casement with flat head which is a C20
metal-framed insertion. To left is the end of the C17 wing which has a 3-
light C20 French window to the ground floor. The right hand end has an
outshut of C20 brick running along the whole of the ground floor. The C17
range at right has a brick chimney stack to its centre and 2 single-light
windows to left of this. Rear: entirely C19 and C20 glazing with a doorway
at left of centre. Two 2-light windows at left of it and a single-light
and 3-light casement at right. To the first floor are three 2-light
windows and a 4-light casement is at left of centre. Axial ridge stack at
right of C19 brick with 2 flues.

Interior: Chamfered ceiling beams to the ground floor rooms.


Listing NGR: TM2122051370

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.