History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Annexe and Flat to Clouds House

A Grade II Listed Building in East Knoyle, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0787 / 51°4'43"N

Longitude: -2.1775 / 2°10'38"W

OS Eastings: 387662

OS Northings: 131053

OS Grid: ST876310

Mapcode National: GBR 1WR.89D

Mapcode Global: FRA 66B8.FJ5

Entry Name: Annexe and Flat to Clouds House

Listing Date: 9 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283986

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321150

Location: East Knoyle, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: East Knoyle

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: East Knoyle St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
East Knoyle

Listing Text

EAST KNOYLE MILTON
ST 83 SE
(south side)
8/44 Annexe and flat to Clouds
House
GV II
Services and servants hall to Clouds House (q.v.), now flat and
meeting room. 1880s for Percy Wyndham by Philip Webb, altered C20.
English bond brick to first floor, dressed limestone to ground
floor, tiled roof, brick stacks. Two-storey, irregular
fenestration. North side has C20 glazed door, leaded casements and
small sashes to first floor level, ground floor windowless, partly
at basement level, moulded stone plat band with tiled capping
between two floors. Attached square stone bay at west end of
covered passages has pyramidal roof with cast-iron weathervane
incorporating date 1883. Two-storey wing on south side with 15-
pane sashes to ground floor former servants' hall, casements to
first floor former workroom.
Part of extensive former service wing to east side of Clouds House,
linked by very long stretches of covered passages and staircases.
The main range, at right angles to servants' hall, formerly
contained the housekeeper's, maids' and valet's rooms on principal
floor with storerooms below. The demolished kitchen was attached
to east side of the servants' hall.
(J. Franklin, The Gentleman's Country House and its plan, 1840-
1914, 1981)


Listing NGR: ST8765331308

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.