History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Valley Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Finborough, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1723 / 52°10'20"N

Longitude: 0.9486 / 0°56'54"E

OS Eastings: 601722

OS Northings: 256764

OS Grid: TM017567

Mapcode National: GBR SJR.SR8

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.DNBM

Entry Name: Valley Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284003

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279901

Location: Great Finborough, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Great Finborough

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Great Finborough St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Buxhall

Listing Text

GREAT FINBOROUGH VALLEY LANE
TM 05 NW

2/126 Valley Farmhouse
-
- II

Former farmhouse. C15 with alterations of C17 and 1894. A 3-cell open hall
house. One storey and attics. Timber-framed and plastered. Pantiled roof,
once thatched. One axial and two external CI9 chimneys of red brick, all with
diagonally-set square flues. Two C19 slated raking dormers with small-pane
sashes. C20 small-pane casements. A mid C19 6-panelled entrance door, the
upper panels glazed; a late C19 gabled pantiled porch on moulded cast iron
columns. The 2-bay open hall has lost most of its open truss, but there is a
near-complete cross-quadrate crownpost with 4-way plank bracing; complete
smoke-encrusted hall roof. Twin 4-centred arched service room doorways.
Widely-spaced tension braced studwork, with evidence for diamond-mullioned
windows. Heavy exposed floor joists in the service cell; this end was altered
in mid C16, when a pair of massive base-crucks were inserted at the left hand
end to support a half hip. Various early C17 alterations: an upper floor
inserted in the hall, and a rear 3-bay dairy wing with some reused C16 moulded
binding beams. A set-forward range to right of 1894: gault brick, slated
roof, 2 storeys.


Listing NGR: TM0172256764

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.