History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strange's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Finstock, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8419 / 51°50'30"N

Longitude: -1.4836 / 1°29'1"W

OS Eastings: 435672

OS Northings: 216049

OS Grid: SP356160

Mapcode National: GBR 6V0.HQG

Mapcode Global: VHBZP.7YJW

Entry Name: Strange's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284038

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252475

Location: Finstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Finstock

Built-Up Area: Finstock

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Finstock with Fawler

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Charlbury

Listing Text

FINSTOCK HIGH STREET
SP3516 (North side)
16/34 No.30 (Strange's Farmhouse)

GV II

Farmhouse. Dated 1744, altered in the early to mid C19. Coursed limestone
rubble, with stone dressings to right. Stone slate roof. L-plan. Two storeys and
attic. Integral brick end stacks. Two gabled dormers to left with 2-light wooden
casements. 2:1:1 bays; glazing bar sashes. Boxed sashes in 3 right-hand bays
with horns and segmental brick relieving arches. 16-pane sashes with stone cills
in right hand bay. Mid-C19 four-panelled door (beaded flush lower panels) with
margin-light rectangular overlight and doorcase with panelled pilaster strips
and shaped brackets supporting flat hood. Flush datestone to first floor between
second and third bays from left, inscribed "fill(love heart)E/1744". Two-storey
rear wing with integral brick end stack. Interior not inspected but noted as
having early C19 staircase, with stick balusters. Internal panelled window
shutters. The right hand bay was probably added in the early C19 (see different
sashes, stone dressings and possible straight joint).
Barn. C18. Roughly squared and coursed limestone rubble with stone dressings.
C20 machine tile roof. Three bays, at right angles to road. Central opposed cart
entrances, with roof swept down over short porch to north. Pair of C20
plywood-covered doors to north. Triangular-shaped vents in sides of western bay
and 3 in gable end to road. Interior has collar-and-tie-bean trusses. Included
for group value.


Listing NGR: SP3567216049

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.