This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3074 / 52°18'26"N
Longitude: 0.7364 / 0°44'11"E
OS Eastings: 586652
OS Northings: 271221
OS Grid: TL866712
Mapcode National: GBR RFL.70P
Mapcode Global: VHKCY.Q85H
Entry Name: Almshouses
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284202
Location: Ampton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Ampton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ingham St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 87 SE AMPTON THE STREET
Four almshouses, now unoccupied. A tablet in the central pediment is dated
1693, with a Latin Inscription to the founder, Dorothy Calthorpe. Single
storey. Colour-washed brick, with chamfered and rusticated red brick quoins
and dressings, and a slightly projecting central bay with triangular pediment
and brick dentil cornice. Black glazed pantiles and 2 internal chimney-stacks
each with 2 round shafts of ornate moulded brick. 4 late C19 canted bay
windows in earlier openings, with C20 small-paned casements. Central entrance
door with 8 raised fielded panels, and subordinate doors in recessed porches.
The range appears to have been considerably restored in the mid C19, when the
present roof, the chimney-stacks and dentil cornice were added to the older
structure. The Latin inscription, now very faint, reads: 'MDCXCIII DOROTHEA
CALTHORPE HOSPITIUM HOC FUNDIT VIRGO IN VIRGINIUM SOLAMEN.' The original
foundation was intended for 6 poor women, but the endowment was insufficient.
Listing NGR: TL8665271221
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings