History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moat Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in All Saints and St. Nicholas, South Elmham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3901 / 52°23'24"N

Longitude: 1.4444 / 1°26'39"E

OS Eastings: 634466

OS Northings: 282479

OS Grid: TM344824

Mapcode National: GBR XN6.00R

Mapcode Global: VHM6V.Z6G2

Entry Name: Moat Farmhouse

Listing Date: 27 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282284

Location: All Saints and St. Nicholas, South Elmham, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: All Saints and St. Nicholas, S

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Rumburgh with South Elmham All Saints St Michael and All Angels and St Felix

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rumburgh

Listing Text

SOUTH ELMHAM ALL SAINTS' COMMON
TM 38 SW ALL SAINTS & ST. NICHOLAS

4/24 Moat Farmhouse
-

- II

Farmhouse, moated on 3 sides. Circa 1600. 2 storeys and attics to main
house; 1½ storeys to a small extension on the left dated 1841. Timber-framed
and rendered; black glazed pantiles; formerly thatched. Basic 3-cell form,
with an internal chimney-stack and cross-entry. The internal stack has a
large, square red brick shaft with corbelled head and chimney-pots. A
smaller, similar stack on the right gable. 4 windows and one blank to the
upper floor, 3 windows to the ground floor, all old casements with.transomes,
2-light and 3-light. C19 porch in matching materials: fluted bargeboards,
spike finial, 4-panelled door. Plain interior with much framing covered. On
the left, one bay has wide flat plain joists and a chamfered main beam on the
ground floor. The roof has stepped butt purlins with pared-off ends and an
upper row of clasped purlins. Old plank doors in the attics. The internal
stack may have been inserted into an early smoke-bay.


Listing NGR: TM3446682479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.