History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hospital of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Heytesbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1828 / 51°10'58"N

Longitude: -2.1051 / 2°6'18"W

OS Eastings: 392752

OS Northings: 142622

OS Grid: ST927426

Mapcode National: GBR 2WT.W19

Mapcode Global: VH97Q.GJHM

Entry Name: Hospital of St John

Listing Date: 19 September 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284088

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313275

Location: Heytesbury, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Heytesbury

Built-Up Area: Heytesbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Heytesbury with Tytherington and Knook St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Heytesbury

Listing Text

HEYTESBURY HIGH STREET
ST 92 SW
(north side)
9/54 Hospital of St. John
19.9.68

GV II

Almshouses. Rebuilt 1769. Flemish bond brick with stone
dressings, tiled hipped roof, brick stack. 'U'-plan around three
sides of courtyard. Two storey, 5-windowed; sashes. Centre bay
breaks forward with chamfered rusticated quoins and pediment with
arms of Hungerford family; door with 6 fielded panels in moulded
stone architrave, two 12-pane sashes in beaded architraves either
side. Plat band to first floor; five 9-pane sashes in moulded
architraves, moulded stone eaves cornice. Octagonal wooden cupola
over pediment has gilded clockface and arched openings, lead domed
roof. Wings facing courtyard each have door with 6 fielded panels
in moulded architrave with flat stone hood on brackets, two sashes
and one blind sash, plat band and three 9-pane sashes and one blind
to first floor, same eaves cornice, chamfered rusticated quoins.
Front gables have 12-pane sash to ground and 9-pane sash to first
floor. Left return of west wing has tripartite sashes to ground
floor and 6-pane sashes to first. Right return of east wing has
central half-glazed door in stone architrave with C20 hood, three
sashes either side, first floor has plat band and 7 sashes, three
C20 hipped dormers to roof. Rear has sashes as to front and C20
flat-roofed extension.
Interior altered C20. Endowed by Margaret, Lady Hungerford c1472,
rebuilt following fire of c1765.


Listing NGR: ST9275242622

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.