History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ponderosa post Office Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Combs, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1681 / 52°10'5"N

Longitude: 0.9864 / 0°59'10"E

OS Eastings: 604327

OS Northings: 256409

OS Grid: TM043564

Mapcode National: GBR SJZ.45Q

Mapcode Global: VHKDP.1RTT

Entry Name: Ponderosa post Office Cottage

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 22 January 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279872

Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Combs

Built-Up Area: Combs

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

COMBS TANNERY ROAD
TM 05 NW
Post Office Cottage and Ponderosa
2/97 (formerly listed as cottages
9.12.55 immediately north of the Post Office

GV II*

Two houses, built as one farmhouse. The main range comprises an open hall of
late C14 or c.1400; the adjoining parlour cross-wing to left was added in late
C16. Timber-framed and roughcast. Plaintiled roof, with one gabled casement
dormer to main range. An axial late C16 chimney of red brick with 3 tall
diagonally-set square shafts is at the junction of the two ranges. Various
C19 and C20 casements. A C20 flush entrance door. The cross-wing, of 2
storeys and attics, has an oversailing gable tie-beam at back and front, well-
carved with a running design in the late C16 manner; at the front is a pair of
bargeboards with good vinescroll carving. The 2-bay open hall probably has a
high survival of early features, but these were mainly concealed at date of
survey. The open truss has a moulded cambered tie-beam with concealed arch-
braces; an octagonal crownpost has a moulded capital and thick 4-way braces.
Good quality close-studding. A splayed and tabled scarf joint with an edge
key in the rear wall plate indicates high quality carpentry and a 14th century
construction date, and demonstrates the early introduction of close-studding
in central Suffolk. A first floor was inserted into the hall in mid C16:
massive main beams, with broach-stopped chamfers. A storeyed cell to right was
replaced by a lean-to extension in C19. A lean-to extension to left is
separately occupied and is not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TM0432756409

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.