History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Billiard Room at Village Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in East Knoyle, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0738 / 51°4'25"N

Longitude: -2.173 / 2°10'22"W

OS Eastings: 387973

OS Northings: 130510

OS Grid: ST879305

Mapcode National: GBR 1WR.PF9

Mapcode Global: FRA 66B8.WT9

Entry Name: Former Billiard Room at Village Hall

Listing Date: 9 September 1987

Last Amended: 29 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321117

Location: East Knoyle, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: East Knoyle

Built-Up Area: East Knoyle

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: East Knoyle St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
East Knoyle

Listing Text

In the entry for
EAST KNOYLE CHURCH ROAD
ST 83 SE
(north side)
8/11
Village Hall
The address and description shall be amended to read -
ST 83 SE EASTKNOYLE CHURCH ROAD
(north side)
8/11 Former Billiard
Room at-Village
Hall.
GV II
Hall house, now part of village hall. Probably C14, altered C17, converted
1908 at expense of Seymour family of Knowle House. Formerly 2 storeys, now
one single cell. Dressed limestone, plain tile roof. Pointed chamfered
doorway to lefts 2-light pointed-arched window with 1908 tracery inserted into
former 1st floor doorway; coped verges; ashlar stack to right gable. Rear has
matching 2-light pointed window and and single-light casement to right. West
(left) gable wall has pointed-arched chamfered lst-floor doorway. Interior:
large open fireplace at east end with deep chamfered lintel on stone jambs
with bread ovens; former lst floor removed c1908 and roof restored but one
old tie-beam truss with arch-braced collar survives against stack. Attached
hall of 1908 with later additions is included in listing.
Photo of c1900 (in village hall) shows a lst-floor pointed-arched door up
external stone steps. The building may represent-the remains of the Medieval
demesne farm of the Bishop of Winchester's Manor in East Knoyle : the tithe
barn was demolished in 1868 and another barn burned down in 1961; the Church
House opposite (q.v.) is also part of this group.
VCH, Wiltshire, Vol Xl, 1980

------------------------------------

EAST KNOYLE CHURCH ROAD
ST 83 SE
(north side)
8/11 Village Hall
GV II
Hall house, extended and converted to village hall 1908, paid for
by Seymour family of Knoyle House. Former 2-storey hall house
probably C14, altered C17. Dressed limestone, tiled roofs with
coped verges, ashlar stack to right gable of C14 range. Rambling
L-plan. C14 range to right has pointed chamfered doorway to left,
2-light pointed window with 1906 tracery, inserted into former
first floor doorway, rear has matching 2-light pointed window and
single-light casement to right. 1906 village hall attached to left
has main hall at right angles to C14 range with segmental-headed 5-
light window with hoodmould to gable end, double planked door in
timber-framed porch on right return, stone tablet with Seymour arms
and date 1908 on wall to left. Service wing to left has lower
roofline and two single-chamfered casements and 3-light mullioned
casement. C20 flat-roofed extensions attached to rear.
Interior of C14 range has large open fireplace at east end with
deep chamfered lintel on stone jambs with bread ovens. Former
first floor removed c1908 and roof restored; retains one tie-beam
truss with arch-braced collar against the stack. Pointed chamfered
door at first floor level in west wall between 1908 hall and C14
range.
Photo c1900 on wall in main hall shows C14 building with first
floor pointed doorway up external stone steps. This may represent
the remains of the Medieval demesne farm of the Bishop of
Winchester's manor in East Knoyle, the tithe barn was demolished
1868 and another barn burned down 1961, the Church House opposite
(q.v.) is also part of this group.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol XI, 1980)


Listing NGR: ST8797330510

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.