History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rose Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Combs, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1632 / 52°9'47"N

Longitude: 0.9758 / 0°58'32"E

OS Eastings: 603625

OS Northings: 255839

OS Grid: TM036558

Mapcode National: GBR SJZ.7K9

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.VWQJ

Entry Name: Rose Hall

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279855

Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Combs

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

COMBS MILL LANE
TM 05 NW

2/80 Rose Hall
-
- II

Former farmhouse. Late C15 with C16 and C17 alterations. One storey and
attics. 3-cell cross-entry plan. Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled
roof with 4 gabled dormers having late C20 small-pane casements. Late C16
chimney of buff brick, plastered and with a rebuilt shaft of C20 red brick.
Mid C20 small-pane casements. Doorway at cross-entry; early C19 architrave
and moulded cornice, late C20 panelled door. A typical open-hall house of
c.1500: the hall has lost its open truss and most of the roof, but sections of
the crownpost system remain at either end. A pair of complete service room
doorways with chamfered 4-centred heads. Studding with both arch and tension
braces. Part of the rear hall window is now glazed, with diamond mullions.
Heavy unchamfered floor joists over the service cell. In early C16, a lower
extension (probably a bakehouse) was added to left, with archbraced close-
studding and plain crownpost roof. In late C16 a 1st floor with broach-stop
chamfered beams was inserted into the hall. A wide lintelled open fireplace
in the hall is of late C16/early C17. The parlour cell was almost entirely
rebuilt in early C17: arched fireplace and on-edge floor joists.


Listing NGR: TM0362555839

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.