History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Nursery

A Grade II Listed Building in Combs, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.161 / 52°9'39"N

Longitude: 0.9723 / 0°58'20"E

OS Eastings: 603396

OS Northings: 255581

OS Grid: TM033555

Mapcode National: GBR SJZ.DN9

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.SYW7

Entry Name: The Nursery

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1284172

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279857

Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Combs

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

COMBS MILL LANE
TM 05 NW

2/82 The Nursery
-
- II

House, c.1530 with alterations of late C16 and c.1600. Originally of 2-cell
end-chimney plan form with cross-entry; a parlour cell added to right in 2
stages. One storey and attics. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roof,
half-hipped at left. An axial chimney of gault brick, the shaft rebuilt mid
C20. Mid C20 gabled casement dormers and casements. Thatched lean-to
entrance porch at cross-entry with glazed door. Heavy unmoulded framing,
fully exposed. The original section comprising hall with service cell to
left, has evidence for arched heads to the cross-entry doorway and to the
single service room doorway. Unchamfered large floor joists, and evidence in
studwork for a probable timber-framed chimney. The parlour cell (originally
of one bay) was added to right in mid/late C16 and extended to two bays soon
after. The final phase has close studding, and all phases have diamond-
mullioned window evidence, with some original mullions. The original roof is
of coupled-rafter form, the later one of clasped purlins. A small set-forward
service wing added to front left in C17.


Listing NGR: TM0339655581

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.