This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4731 / 51°28'22"N
Longitude: -1.8554 / 1°51'19"W
OS Eastings: 410138
OS Northings: 174908
OS Grid: SU101749
Mapcode National: GBR 3TZ.RPZ
Mapcode Global: VHB3Y.S7HL
Entry Name: Church of St Katherine and St Peter
Listing Date: 27 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1284298
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311410
Location: Winterbourne Bassett, Wiltshire, SN4
Civil Parish: Winterbourne Bassett
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 17 SW WINTERBOURNE BASSETT -
6/158 Church of St. Katherine
& St. Peter
Anglican parish church. C14, C15 and restored 1857-8 by Field and
Hinton. Random sarsen with limestone dressings. Tower of
limestone ashlar. Stone slate roofs. Nave with south porch, north
transeptal chapel and north aisle. Chancel and west tower. Gabled
porch of C14 with double hollow-chamfer mouldings opening to C15
inner door with double hollow-chamfers separated by round casement.
North door to aisle ogee with fleurons in wide casement moulding.
Nave windows 3 and 4-light square headed, the latter with ogee
cinquefoiled lights. Aisle has 2-light C15 windows. Transept
north window, a fine C14 reticulated 3-light window, and the
chancel a full complement of C14 two-light curvilinear windows with
mouchettes. East window a C19 reticulated copy. West tower of
four stages, angle buttresses and north-east stair rising above the
crenellated and pinnacled parapet. West door and 3-light window
over, and 2-light bell openings. Numbered mass dial on south east
quoin of chancel.
Interior: Fourteenth century arcade of 3 bays, the mouldings
continuous through to the bases. Elegant tall tower arch. Roof of
1857 of 3 bays. Arch from aisle to transept elaborated on transept
side as is the east bay of the arcade. Transept has arch-braced
side roof and trefoiled piscina. It was possibly the family chapel
of the Despensers. Chancel arch moulded as arcade but raised on
corbels with elongated shafts to lower corbels supported by male
and queenly heads. Chancel well lit with wide rere-arches to
windows. Trefoiled piscina with credence shelf. Priest's door on
south side. Roof C19. Fittings: Font, under tower, early C13
drum with stiff-leaf decoration and spurred round base. Pulpit:
C17 oak, with fielded panelling and frieze, restored in C19.
Readers desk similar. Sanctuary rail Cl7 arcaded on turned columns
with strapwork frieze, said to come from former pews. All pews at
rear of church C17 low boxes. Furniture: A C17 table in transept,
and chair with monoxylic ends. Monuments: In transept, north
wall, three C18 wall monuments. White marble, raised central panel
with cornice and broken ogee pediment, angels standing on top and
central arms. Purple marble gadrooned base and carved apron. To
Mary Baskerville of Richardston, died 1724. Long eulogy. Aedicule
with segmental pediment with death's head, putto below. Grey panel
to Margaret Baskerville, died 1696. North wall; a handsome wall
tomb C14, ogee tracery below arch, carrying stands for figures,
perhaps a crucifixus, with nodding ogee above but below a moulded
arch. Within, and on floor, a charming limestone grave slab of
late C13 with man and wife holding hands in low relief, below a
trefoiled canopy. West wall; an unidentified painted heraldic
crest In chancel: Three wall tablets, white marble pilastered
panel on grey, urn over, arms below, to Elizabeth Tuckey, died
1809. White marble tablet on slate, to Horatio Nelson Budd,
midshipman, died 1843, by Legg of Purton, and similar, to John
Tuckey Budd, died 1831, by Franklin of Purton. In aisle; a C19
Kindred and Affinity board and two hatchments in roof of transept.
Glass: Some C14-C15 fragments in head of north-west window of
chancel. East window of 1926.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU1013974905
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings